Return to the Tips & Techniques Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I trim back severely overgrown bushes??

Posted by ranger481vs WI (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 11, 11 at 19:57

I moved into a house with six severely overgrown bushes. They nearly 5ft tall. See images below. When looking inside the bush, it's fairly empty. I'd really like to trim these back to around 2 1/2ft or so, but I worry if they will come back or not. If so, about how long does it take in this situation? I'm willing to be patient if it's worth it. Otherwise, I need to dig them out since they are hiding the front of my house. Thanks for any tips and advice
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I trim back severely overgrown bushes??

They look like yews (Taxus) to me.I recommend that you post this question in the Shrubs forum, or maybe the Conifers forum.
I have seen them trimmed down to little nubs, and they do usually regrow, but it would involve looking at the little nubs for a couple of years. They sure look healthy, and I have a feeling that digging them out would be a huge undertaking, like needing a backhoe huge.

o

Okay, thanks! I posted in the shrub forum. Didn't know there was one!

o

nice pic of yourself in the first one.. lol ..

can you do it.. sure..

should you do it.. NO!!!!!

this is the prime spot of the front [???] of your house.. do you really want a bunch of ugly sticks there. for the next 5 years.. while you hope they grow back into some preferable form ...

i doubt it ... they gotta go

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tips & Techniques Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here