Return to the Tips & Techniques Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
till only the spots or whole bed?

Posted by chueh 7 b GA (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 16, 08 at 20:40

I will plant shrubs and small trees in several beds around our front yard where the lawn is. The lot is not flat at all, and the lowest part is in the center. Since the beds are around the lot; they will be higher than the lawn. I am just concerned that if I till the entire bed and then it rains, all the red clay dirt will run into the center of the lawn. The lawn will then be stained with red clay color. Should I just till only the spots where the shrubs and trees will be planted? I am not sure even if it's worth to have the concern. What should I do then? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: till only the spots or whole bed?

• Posted by lindac Iowa Z 5/4 (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 18, 08 at 10:16

Why would you till? That only exposes weed seeds....just cover the grass with 8 to 10 sheets (layers) of newspaper and mulch.
Just dig a hole, plant your shrubs, cover the rest with newspaper and mulch with fine wood or bark chips and the worms and soil organisms will do the rest.
Linda C

o
RE: till only the spots or whole bed?

Sounds all the better now. Well, I was thinking that tilling the entire beds would be better for the plants, since their roots would spread and would get nutrients from tilled and amended soil. However, if I don't need to till, it's all good for me. less work :-) Thanks, Linda

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tips & Techniques Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here