Return to the Tips & Techniques Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What grows best with lots of SUN?

Posted by treehugger z6 NW Arkansas (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 9, 07 at 23:48

We have beds ("flower") on all sides of our covered deck...the beds facing West get the late day heat. I have nothing to speak of in the bed facing straight West, but where the bed curves and turns East, I have some Hosta and Pachysandra....the part of that bed that still gets the late day heat...neither the Hosta or Pachysandra are doing well...but further down, the Hostas are doing very well.

What should I do with those West-facing parts of the beds? Btw, the Pachysandra that has grown through the lattice under the deck is doing beautifully...so obviously the heat and dryness is hampering their growth in the open bed.

What does anyone suggest I plant in these West-facing beds that might take that exposure?

Thanks so much.

Treehugger

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What grows best with lots of SUN?

• Posted by lindac Iowa Z 5/4 (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 11, 07 at 20:23

Any sun loving plant....from mums to iris to day lilies to delphs....and lots of annuals....zinnia, marigolds, snaps, petunias....and roses ought to do really well.
Linda C

o

Thanks Linda! Common Sense answer....I get it and will get it planted and then be a lot happier....thanks!

TH

o

Daylilies, oriental lilies, coneflowers, Butterfly bushes, stella D' Oro... Go to a good online flower site and use the search function for "full sun". :)

o

Thanks you three! I planted zinnias (Profusion Fire) and Rudbeckia hirta (Maya).

I had already planted some tiny sprouts of tiger lilies...I'm sure they will take a while to really show themselves...but I do love tiger lilies.

Thanks again.

Tree

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tips & Techniques Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here