Return to the Tips & Techniques Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
which wood?

Posted by victoria321 z3Alaska (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 10, 07 at 5:38

I was thinking of using aspen shavings, the same as are sold for small animal bedding, how would this compare to the bagged garden variety bark mulch ( I don't like the splinters)?
And if I need to be concerned with nitrogen depletion I can spray miracal grow on the garden to counter the effect right ?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: which wood?

• Posted by lindac Iowa Z 5/4 (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 13, 07 at 11:54

Aspen shavings would be fine as mulch. The impact on the nitrogen in your soil would be very minimal, but if you are concerned, spread a little composted manure before you lay down the wood chips. After the first year you will reach an equilibrium with the decaying mulch giving back what the newer mulch takes from the soil.
I avoid spraying mirical grow on your garden. It may give a quick boost but does nothing for the long term health of your plants nor which is a lot more important, your soil.
Linda C

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tips & Techniques Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here