Return to the Tips & Techniques Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best time to repave asphalt driveway?

Posted by rush1 NJ (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 10, 05 at 6:29

Can anyone suggest when it is the best time to have an ashpalt driveway repaved? Does when you have it repaved have any impact on how the new driveway will settle?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best time to repave asphalt driveway?

• Posted by dian57 M-H Valley NY-5 (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 16, 05 at 5:49

I've had my driveway repaved several times over the years. It's always been done in late spring or early summer. Maybe that's because the tax return comes at that time. Call a paving company, they'll let you know the best time.

o
RE: Best time to repave asphalt driveway?

• Posted by Jan2 z5 Illinois (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 21, 05 at 18:44

I'm an office manager for an asphalt paving company and the best time to pave your drive is when you want it done. We're suburban, northwest of Chicago, so our work is seasonal. We pave mid April through December, weather permitting and asphalt plants open. When you say "repaved" are you going to have it all pulled out and new asphalt put over your existing stone or do a full depth with stone and asphalt new or just a resurface (primed and then asphalt put over your existing asphalt)? A simple remove and replace, using your stone, won't have any settling effect and neither will a resurface. A full depth remove and replace will settle in time. All stone settles so eventually the asphalt will crack in places. This is a normal thing due to the expansion of the ground during the winter and summer months. A hot, dry summer is worse on them than winter.

Jan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tips & Techniques Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here