Return to the Tips & Techniques Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Saving Male Pollen for later use?

Posted by jonib Zone 3 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 30, 07 at 14:47

I am wondering if there was a way to freeze or freeze dry the male pollan for a later batch of squash. I have noticed that I am getting so far all females and because no males have come in yet I am losing them because they can't be pollinated by a male.
So if I can save the male flower or just the pollen safely then when I start a new plant of squash if I only get females at first I have my pollen on hand to get started with.
Do you think it is possible, and if so which way would be the best so that the pollen is not destroyed in any way.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Saving Male Pollen for later use?

Pollen can be frozen very well....but all squash plants carry both male and female blossoms...bees and other bugs do the polination. The female flower is the one with the baby squash at the base and for that to develop it needs to be pollinated by the male flower....the one without the little baby squash at the base of the bloom.
Unless you have been aggressivly spraying poision all over your garden, you need to do nothing to get squash, but wait and water.
Linda C

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tips & Techniques Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here