Return to the Tips & Techniques Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bats in Attic Solution!!!!

Posted by michman 5Mich (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 29, 06 at 19:23

My parents have had bats in their walk-in attic for decades, with little success at ridding them. They have had several "experts" over to offer their solution, and take their money, but the bats invariably returned. Today I went over there to visit, and Dad told me how he thinks he may have found a way to deal with them. It may seem inhumane to some, but certainly not to my Mom and Dad. Although they love having birds, rabbits and other wildlife come to their backyard, their attic is off limits, so anything goes. What he did is this: He tacked up to the roof boards/sheathing/joist about 24 strips of fly paper, spaced about a 18"-24" apart, near an area where they have found bat guano. You should secure the flypaper with a short screw and washer. Dad said he has removed 3 bats in the last week, with no signs of any more. Of course, you must remove anything nearby you don't want the flypaper to come into contact with, as the bats may not drop straight down, if you know what I mean. I hope this tip will save some of you some money and grief. Post back if you have success with this technique...MichMan.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bats in Attic Solution!!!!

Clever - a variation on the glue boards for mice.

I can understand where some people might think it inhumane, but when it comes to critters in the attic, I certainly understand ... I'm wondering if some version of this would work for squirrels! So far nothing has worked to keep them out; they even chewed through cedar shakes and wood sheathing and literally bent metal sheathing away to get inside. Once inside, they've not only chewed up things in storage, but also chewed away the insulation off some electric wiring.

We love wildlife too, and I'll even share a bit of the garden with them ... but destruction of the house is too much. Thanks for sharing and I hope the method you've reported continues to be an effective remedy for your parents.

Diane

o

Diane, I have heard of hanging glue boards up for bats. One fellow duct taped them back-to-back, and hung them in his attic, with much success. One would think it would be less "messy" than the flypaper technique.
Squirrels can be a big problem also. A co-worker had major problems with them. I'll ask him how he got rid of them. I hope you have been able to stop the infiltration of those roof rats, and keep them happy with the bird feeders. Serge.

o

Please, please, please do not do this. There are techniques for safely excluding bats from your house that can be found on the Washington Department of Fish & Wildlife page: http://wdfw.wa.gov/living/bats.html . Fly paper will kill these long-lived beneficial animals. Bats can eat up to 600-1,000 mosquitoes in an hour and can live for over 30 years. They are not rodents and only have one to two young per year meaning that every bat is important.

o

Bats are a protected species in many states, Michigan amongst them.

o

If you have bats in the attic, there are no poisons, repellents, or traps you can set to get rid of the bats in the attic. All bats have to be excluded through a one way door. Also the rest of the home should be bat proofed. Al openings 3/8" or larger should be sealed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Michigan Bat Control

o
RE:Squrriels or Bats in Attic Solution!!!!

If you want to get rid of squirrels in the atic, set RAt traps with peanut butter.Tie a wire to the rat trap so that it will stay in that one spot when you go to get it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tips & Techniques Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here