Return to the Tips & Techniques Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! Total Novice

Posted by GardenGoth none (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 25, 14 at 19:37

I recently received two aloe plants from a friend, a bit yellow and wilted. I just moved to a new apt and want to start a garden. How do I transfer the aloe plants from their pots to the ground and how do I prepare the soil? Thanks! Oh, I live in WA state, if that helps.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! Total Novice

Aloe's are succulents and dont like to much water, I dont think they would like being in the ground in your state, they would rot. I'd leave them in a pot with a good potting mix and be very careful how much water you give it, they like to dry out between waterings. Hope this helps.
Christine

o

Thank you! Actually I;m now thinking of leaving them in the pots, transferring to bigger pots when needed, and leaving them outdoors only during our sunnier, warmer weather. Thank you.

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 13:33

Gardengoth, I know of just one aloe, Aloe aristata, that survives winters here in PNW planted in the ground - chances are that is not the one you were gifted with. If winter wet doesn't do the others in, winter temperatures will...they don't survive hard frost. Even though our winters are described as mild, there will be some nights dropping into the 20's, last year even lower.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tips & Techniques Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here