Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susan_on

another rain barrel question

susan_on
19 years ago

I have three linked rain barrels and will be adding more. I would like to install soaker hoses in my beds, and use a short connecting hose to attach them. I don't seem to have enough water pressure though, although my barrels are elevated by almost three feet. The water comes out of the barrels with enough pressure, but it is greatly reduced when the hose is attached (25'). Any suggestions?

Comments (13)

• Jesus_
    19 years ago

Youd need a small pump to force the water out of a soaker hose. Gravity feed probably wont work without a lot more vertical height on those barrels.

• leaveswave
    19 years ago

I don't think you want to try and pressurize the water, do you? Some yards are hilly; water will only come out if the hose is lower than the current level of water in the barrel.

Soaker hoses were made to operate on pressurized systems. I made my own by using a drill to make holes (larger than a soaker hose's) in a regular hose, and it works great! HTH

• Jesus_
    19 years ago

I think the problem with commercial soaker hoses is that the holes actually seal up when not being forced open by water. There isnt enough pressure with gravity feed, so you either need to pressurize the water with a small pump, or put bigger holes in the hose as leaveswave said.

• susan_on
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Ok, I think my husband said he has a small pump somewhere...just wondering what we should do.

• joepyeweed
    19 years ago

hook up the pump?

• susan_on
    Original Author
    19 years ago

lol...I guess I should explain myself better. Jesus said I need to pressurize the water or put bigger holes in the hose. I would prefer to pressurize the water...HOWEVER, Lee Valley Tools told me you can't use that much pressure with a soaker hose. I don't know why. So it seems I will have either too much, or too little pressure for my soaker hose system. That's why I was wondering what everyone else does.

• Jesus_
    19 years ago

Well how does LVT know what kind of pressure your little pump will put out?

This pump would probably be fine for what you want to do...http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=45020

The barrels are already linked, put it in the last one, add a switch to turn it on/off and it will shut itself off when the barrels are empty. You can probably cut the end off a soaker hose, run it through a hole in the barrel seal the hole, add your switch and be done. Or use a regular hose at the pump, you probably want the soaker hose at the end. I just wouldnt use too much length of hose with a pump that small, maybe 150' or so, 50' to 100' would probably be ideal. Only thing Im not sure about is the backpressure created by the soaker hose might cause the pump to burn up. We had one at work we treated a lot worse, pumped mud through it and everything all the time. Never had a problem with it. Not the same brand, but basically the same.

• caryweirauch
    15 years ago

why cant one elevate the first barrel in a series, seal the remaining barrels air tight and as they filled they would create their own pressure?

• Mebeam_wi_rr_com
    15 years ago

I am trying to use soaker hoses with my rain barrels...I have drilled extra holes in the hoses...but I still not getting good results.

Can anyone suggest what size drill bit to use?

• bets_1539
    15 years ago

We've been thinking about getting some rain barrels but doesn't the water get too hot to use on gardens/flower beds?

• Lisa Brown
    15 years ago

I haven't had an issue with the water being too hot, however our barrels are mostly in shade and are painted so that may be the reason.

We use a sprinkler hose in our garden bed and the pressure seems to be enough. Sometimes it sprinkles, sometimes it acts more like a soaker hose. But water is getting out and that's what matters. So you may want to try that instead.

• robertz6
    15 years ago

You might look at something like the Little Giant pp1s Garden Hose Utility Pump. Fits 3/4" garden hose, costs $58. This one sits outside the water containers and runs off electric power.

Other models such as submerged pumps can stay in a rain barrel, but usually cost in the hundreds of dollars.

If you want use the water container pressure (head pressure) to move the water, you may have to stack the containers one on top of another. Or put them on top of the roof (if you have a flat roof).

• dave_zanmiller_com
    12 years ago

With a short soaker hose (4 feet) would you still need to add veritcal height or pressureise?