Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
juschillen

is bleach & water mixture harmful to grass?

juschillen
19 years ago

is bleach & water mixture harmful to grass? i have had a puppy die from parvo and they said the only way to get rid of the virus is to mix 1cup bleach to a gallon of water. and i do have another pup im worried about!! i plan to do my yard no matter what, but where i take my pups to visit ...they want to know if that will harm thier grass. and they also have a dog there and i am worried about it also!! i have to do this to thier yard asap but they wont let me until i find out if it will hurt the grass! and i am concerned that thier pet will die also!! THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR ALL YOUR HELP!!!!

Comments (21)

• weebus
    19 years ago

Nope! You can dip paltn roots in 1:10 bleach to water ratio without any detrimental affects. So you can use up to 14 oz. of bleach to a gallon of water.

• joepyeweed
    19 years ago

i am so sorry about your puppy - best of luck with sanitizing your yard .

• sugarhill
    19 years ago

Bleach won't hurt the grass or your plants. Quite common to pressure wash houses with bleach, and it doesn't kill the lawn or plants around the house. So sorry about your puppy. Hope the other one stays well.

• REID1975
    19 years ago

Only thing it might be harmful to is the mycorrhizal fungus in the soils, along with the benifitial bacteria in the soil. You might want to review some of the products that have mycorrhizal fungus in them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plant Health Care

• manuel2790
    16 years ago

I have 2 pups that got parvo and dont want any other pup/dog getting it! So did it kill your grass? and how much bleach was used to the lawn?

• davidandkasie
    16 years ago

we had 2 lab puppies several years ago. my wife took them with her to her grandmothers and one caught parvo from a pet deer they had. we sprayed the yard, the house, everything, and never had another issue, even though we had many more pups come thru our house. her grandmother never sprayed her yard, and evne now, 10 years later, every time a cat has kittens or a dog has pups, most of them die from parvo.

spray the lawns, it will not harm the grass at all. you MUST soak it good though, or you are just wasting your time.

• manuel2790
    16 years ago

Ok!!! So I need to know how much bleach do I use? and do I mix it with water? ANd there is a lot people that say it does KILL your GRASS!

• lindac
    16 years ago

You buy a hose end sprayer that you can adjust for mixing the proper concentration...put the bleach in the jar....adjust the sprayer to 4 oz per gallon and spray everything very very well....
    It won't kill your grass....I routinely clean my deck and patio with a much stronger bleach solution that that and it doesn't hurt a thing...doesn't even kill weeds!
    Keep that puppy safe....
    Linda C

• evonline
    16 years ago

THERE IS A VERY EFFECTIVE VACCINE FOR PARVOVIRUS. IT IS ROUTINE TO VACCINATE YOUNG CATS AND DOGS FOR PARVO. If you go to a vet and ask for all of the routine inoculations your pet will be protected! Your wife's grandmother should see if she can get her cat's and dog's spayed and neutered and vaccinated. I know it can be financially demanding. If she cannot afford to inoculations for the animals born at her place I hope there is some way to spay and neuter the cats and dogs at her place. It is generally best to prevent animals from producing more young since there are so many homeless animals. It sounds like the grass will do fine with bleach and I think it is very kind of you to take on this project. Please be sure to talk to your vet about inoculations for parvovirus.

• ambercr20_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

I agree with the last post! Spay, neuter and VACCINATE!!! I am about to bleach my yard due to (not so bright) neighbors that have had 4 puppies die in 5 months due to parvo. PLEASE PLEASE VACCINATE! This disease is currently ripping through Georgia.

• katzpaw83_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

This is very helpful, I have been working very hard to grow grass in my yard. I recently also lost a very lovable puppy to parvo, really broke my heart. I am now getting another puppy due to the fact I had another dog who is healthy and is depressed. I know its just grass and that it can grow back but I have been working on getting rid of the dirt by covering it with grass for well over a year. Now that I see that its okay to spray the grass it makes me feel very relieved. What bothers me is whatabout all of the threats of other animals coming into my yard we have a fenced in yard but the small animals come in especially the neighbors dog. How long will it take for the new puppy to be immune to the potential threat. Thanks

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    12 years ago

"Vaccination is the most effective preventive measure for canine parvovirus disease. A properly immunized dog will have circulating antibodies in the blood that will destroy parvovirus following exposure. Dogs remain HIGHLY SUSCEPTIBLE to parvo until 2-4 weeks after the last injection of the immunization series.

The Role of Maternal Antibody in Puppy Immunization :

Maternal antibodies are antibodies against viruses which are passed from the mother to the puppies through the "first milk" or colostrum. They provide the puppy with an immediate temporary or "passive" immunity. The mother obtains these antibodies from prior vaccination or by natural exposure to parvovirus. However, maternal antibody is a two-edged sword; it protects the puppy against disease early in life, but it also blocks active immunization (the puppy's immune response to vaccinations). In the case of parvovirus, maternal antibody can interfere with vaccination for as long as 14 to 16 weeks of age in some pups. A refractory period can exist in some pups where very low, almost undetectable levels of maternal antibody will inhibit the vaccination process but will NOT PREVENT parvovirus infection. Since the level of maternal antbody varies from puppy to puppy, IT IS IMPORTANT TO BEGIN VACCINATION AT AN EARLY AGE AND REPEAT EVERY 3-4 WEEKS UNTIL THE PUPPY IS AT LEAST 16-18 WEEKS OLD. "

You really should talk to your vet for the best advice for your breed. My sister bought two german shepherds at Christmas, just as good friends of theirs introduced a new puppy into their own home. They agreed not to take the pups to each others houses until all vaccinations were complete.

• thegriffinelf_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

My puppies have had all their vaccinations and still caught parvo... don't assume that just because a puppy has parvo that they haven't been vaccinated or just because you have vaccinated your puppy that they can't still get parvo. It varies with each dog and how strong their immune system is. Just like humans, some of us might get the flu shot and still get the flu. Some of us may never get the flu shot and never get the flu. We are all different. Best thing to do when it comes to parvo is vaccinate your pet at 6, 9, 12, 15 and 18wks. Maybe even again at 20 wks if your vets advises it. Don't take puppies, other pets, or anyone else in the the household to places where lots of other dogs go ( dog parks, pet stores, etc...) until your puppy is at least 22wks. If parvo is in your house and yard use bleach. Bleach is the only thing that will kill or reduce the virus. Remember: anyone can sell you products that they kclaim work but the only thing that has been proven to kill or reduce the virus is chlorine bleach. Don't assume just because its common and cheap it's not the best. If you have more concerns or questions I recommend contacting a veterinarian university. Texas A&M veterinarian clinic's # 979-845-2351. Good luck and God Bless.

• vickytoria3112
    11 years ago

I also got 2 litter mate puppies and 2 weeks later my male died the same day as his first puppy shots. Vet did through exam on my female including parvo and said she was healthy. That night my husband went back to the breeder and brought home another. He was the runt of the litter. Everything was fine. So 4 days later I went back to vet with both pups and he gave me dewormers for the new pup and injected him with the parvo vaccine and said because the other one passed after his 1st vaccines I would like 2 wait 2 weeks before we give this one his 1st set and my female the 2nd set. 10 days later I took my male pup back because he was not eating, diarrhea, and vomiting. They tested a stool sample and he was positive for parvo. So now the little guy is fighting for his life at the emrgency hospital. This is putting an emotional toll on me and now my female is showing symptoms. Tomorrow I will be at the vet first thing in the morning to have her retested again. I'm glad I came across this forum because now I know how to control this virus from my yard. I have 2 other dogs that are fully vaccinated and I hope they don't get it either.

Wish me luck and pray for my babies. Thanks.

• piscesgirl
    11 years ago

@vickytoria3112 Our 8 week old puppy got Parvo last week. We used "Parvaid" and "Vibactra Plus" made by Amber Technologies. Our pup was much better in 1 day & acting normal in 2 days. GET IT NOW! We followed the directions found online & administered the Parvaid every 15 min for the 1st hour then every hour after that(yes, even through the night) and then every 2 hours the next day. The Vibactra Plus you do less often, like every 4 hours or so. We are going to spray our yard with the bleach/water mixture today. As with essential oils & humans most Dr's don't believe in it. Same with the Parvaid & Vibactra Plus, most vets don't believe in it. I have first hand experience that this stuff works. You can get it at most pet stores.

http://ambertech.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/10-Steps-to-Overcoming-Parvo-03-13-12.pdf

http://www.parvopuppy.com/heal_parvo.htm#WO

http://www.wolfcreekranch.net/parvaid.html

Good luck with your puppies.

• Nancy Barginear
    11 years ago

You only need 1 oz of Clorox to 32 of water to kill parvo virus when cleaning indoors. I don't know what concentration would be effective in the ground.

About parvo vaccines (VERY IMPORTANT)

1. Fort Dodge parvo vaccine is the only one I used, based on dog show people's advice. I understand that feed store vaccines are not always reliable.

2. Vaccines are only effective once the maternal antibodies are gone. I did not know this until tragedy struck. If a puppy is vaccinated for parvo while the maternal antibodies are still present, it will not be effective and the puppy will not be protected yet. It is impossible to tell at what point in time the antibodies are gone, so I urge you to read below and give a lot of thought about what was recommended to me.

3. Fort Dodge veterinary scientists recommended to me: Puppies should be vaccinated for parvo once a week starting at 3 weeks until 8 weeks of age. Then every two weeks until 4 months of age. I've had veterinarians say that wasn't necessary, but I stuck with the Fort Dodge advice. I vaccinated my puppies myself as I had a good source for their vaccines. I saved a lot of money doing it myself.

4. I am an experienced dog breeder (seven Shih Tzu champions), and have learned much about parvo. The information I am sharing with you comes from advice given to me by the Fort Dodge veterinarians.

It began with an outbreak of parvo in our home. I could not understand why the following happened:

My mothers were so well-protected by vaccines, and the puppies were vaccinated when 6 weeks of age. We had a couple who had first gone to a pet shop to look for puppies (unknown to me). There were none there, as they had all died from parvo. They then came to my home and purchased a puppy. They also brought the air-borne virus with them. We lost almost an entire vaccinated litter + two 4-month old show-potential puppies. The puppy we sold to them also died from parvo. We refunded the couple's money and vet expenses ($1200), plus we had $1800 in vet expenses trying to save our puppies. I called Fort Dodge, frantic. I was given some very sound advice from their scientists, and after following that, I never had another parvo outbreak. It was only later that the couple's daughter phoned me and revealed what her parents had done, or I would never have refunded their money.

Since our puppies were all in our home, and had never been outdoors, we did not have to deal with a yard infection.

After that tragedy, I began furnishing a written guarantee for all my puppies for one year against parvo, provided the new owners followed my schedule as recommended by Fort Dodge. We never had another problem.

Be careful where you buy a puppy!

Nancy

• Maggie Compton
    8 years ago

We lost our precious puppy to parvo 2wks ago. I had never experienced the evil that is parvo until then. Thanks for the advice. We are planning on getting another puppy in the future and your information has been helpful.

• ajgtarheels
    6 years ago

If u spray bleach in yard, how do u know when it is safe to allow dogs to walk in yard again, so as no effects from bleach

• rissm
    2 years ago

Wow people. Vaccinate your puppies!! Start at 8 weeks, distemper/parvo vaccine must be given every 2-3 weeks until 16 weeks old. Unbelievable how many puppies die because of the ignorance and neglect of the people who should be taking care of them.

• ajgtarheels
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Wow people! Hey, Rissm - if you are referring to my comment - know the facts before you pass judgement. Picked up a rescue from a kill shelter and the puppy became sick the next day so we paid out of pocket thousands to save this little rescue puppy's life, after having him at our home less than 24 hours. I could have taken the puppy back to the kill shelter and they would not have done anything but put him to sleep.