Return to the Tips & Techniques Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How can you treat wood to be used as fence posts?

Posted by jgs2 8 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 6, 04 at 13:08

I have seven acres planted in slash pines. My plan is to clear half of it to make a horse pasture. The trees are too small to be sold as timber but they are about the correct size to use a fence post. Does anyone know a technique that can be used to preserve these posts after they are cut, debarked, and dried?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How can you treat wood to be used as fence posts?

Sorry, I have no suggestions except to add that most softwood pine posts used for fencing are pressure treated with preservative. That is something you probably cannot achieve. Considering the amount of work involved, you certainly want to make sure the wood is going to last awhile. In my area home made fenceposts are usually constructed from locust.

o

I use linseed oil.

o

I can't remember where I read it, but elderly person said painting lower section of post with mixture of crushed charcoal & linseed oil would make a fencepost that would last longer than you would. Don't know about pine tho'...it's really soft.

Suzi

o

you can buy a wood preservative...and treat wood yourself... its highly toxic ... the more toxic the treatment the more effective the preservative...if it doesnt burn your skin off, kill rats, mice and small children it wont be as effective... be careful if you do that...(i am quoting my brother the carpenter...)

o

Dip the end that goes in the ground in kerosene, they will last for ever

o

• Posted by potty 7long island (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 11, 05 at 11:20

burn the end that goes in the ground with a blowtorch or over an open fire. char it pretty good

o

• Posted by cacho z7 w. tx (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 15, 05 at 10:40

My dad a farmer/rancher used to make all his fence posts. He kept a small barrel with diesel fuel and used oil from oil changes and whenever he cut an appropriate sized pole (often pine) he'd peel the bark off and stick them in the barrel giving them at least a few weeks to soak.

o

Does anyone have the name of a toxic preservative that might really do some good? Something really really toxic? I'm just going to treat bottom few feet, let soak all winter. Use for constructing pole building. Have 6x6 doug fir I cut myself.
thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tips & Techniques Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here