Return to the Tips & Techniques Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to attach bamboo barrier to cinderblock foundation

Posted by dchomedan 7 (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 24, 13 at 14:21

I'm working with a neighbor to control a grove I inherited with our house - the cat was already way-y out of the bag - and I'm extending my barrier up to a cinderblock foundation 4-5 feet into his property, former old horse stable at about 70-80 years old but pretty solid, so far doing a pretty good job as a barrier itself (see photo).

But how can I attach my 40ml plastic barrier to the foundation, such that it doesn't work its way around it? At first I thought of chipping a groove into the cinderblock, but how likely are rhizomes to get into & around via the inevitable cracks?

Thanks -Dan

This post was edited by dchomedan on Sun, Aug 25, 13 at 2:11

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to attach bamboo barrier to cinderblock foundation

You'll have to dig a trench a few inches away from the foundation, and lay the barrier as you would anywhere else, making sure you don't leave any stray roots on the wrong side.

There's always an easy way to put the cat back in the bag. For bamboo it's simple; Every spring, take a lawn mower or weed whacker to the soft new shoots that appear. You'll have about a 3 week window until it gets tall and hard. Afterwards, you shouldn't have much trouble for the rest of the year.

This post was edited by Sumatra on Sat, Oct 26, 13 at 21:53

o
RE: How to attach bamboo barrier to cinderblock foundation

Sumatra, thanks for posting your reply. I think I wasn't clear on the goal here, which is to prevent the runners from continuing along the old foundation wall from the right side to the left in the photograph. So bamboo doing what it does best, finagling its way around obstacles and getting into chinks in your armor, I think I need a way to attach the end of the plastic barrier sheet where it will meet the foundation (perpendicular) to keep it from finding a way past.

This area is actually in the back yard corners of my 2 neighbors, where they rarely go and pay very little attention. If I don't make the barrier impregnable, there will eventually be be a well-established wall of it constantly firing off runners into my yard, which is what happened before.

Thanks again!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tips & Techniques Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here