Return to the Tips & Techniques Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Material for plant protectors?

Posted by davek913 Z5 Northern IN (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 5, 07 at 19:51

Not sure if this is the correct forum, but it looked as appropriate as any.

I'm going to make some collapsible plant protectors for some of our many perennials in front. Seems like every year we get one of those late freezes after everthing starts coming up, and I'm running around looking for boxes, old sheets or pillowcases or otherwise improvising. I want to make them before the summer's out as I probably won't have time in the fall. I was thinking of using landscape fabric, but wondered if anyone would have any suggestions.

The basic idea is to rip some boards down to around 1" or so, drill holes at the top of the pieces and tie them together with wire, and drill holes in the middle of each piece, threading more wire so they open to a certain size. Enough to cover the plant, but not so much that they would collapse while in use. The material would be stapled to the outside. There would be holes or a space at the top for air circulation. When not in use, they would fold to store similiar to an umbrella, and could be made to accomodate different sized plants.

Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Material for plant protectors?

Sounds great! Patent it!
Linda C

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tips & Techniques Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here