Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
njbiology

Planting trees close together for woodland-effect? Good idea?

njbiology
15 years ago

Hi,

I would like to plant the following medium-sized trees in a small area of my yard, EACH having an eventual width span of 26':

-American Persimmon (2)

-Canadian Serviceberry (2)

I may planted these 4 trees so that there is only about 17' feet space in between each sapling's truck, instead of the optimal 26' which would allow unrestricted spreading to each trees full potential of width. The reason I want to do this is because I want a naturalized look (i.e. woodland growth performance) and to be able to fit more trees.

My questions are these:

1. Will the trees liveout a full lifespan once mature, since they will grow taller then wide, or would the stress weaken them? I think that in the woods, native american persimmons grows perfectly healthy when under such conditions, but that serviceberry shrub-trees tend to weaken and suffer rot.

2. If the persimmon trees do well and the serviceberry trees

suffer some rot, will it kill the tree or only cause it to loose branches and continue to resprout lost trunks.

3. Will the fruit from the persimmon trees, which will be out-of-reach, be able to be harvested as they fall to the ground ripe, or will they fall from too great a height and splatter?

Thanks,

Steve

Comments (2)

• petzold6596
    15 years ago

You answered your own questions.

• sylviatexas1
    15 years ago

You might get more help on the Trees Forum.

Best luck!