Return to the Tips & Techniques Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
moving a red hot poker

Posted by shannon01 z9 CA (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 26, 06 at 20:12

We planted two pokers and they have done well. Problem is we planted things too close and need to thin out. The two pokers are what will open the space. One is still blooming. When would it be a good time to move to other side of yard? We have dealt with day lilies a lot so we know about separating them and such. I have pulled out the dried and dead leaves, sometimes big clusters come out and they smeeeeeell oh so bad because they are rotted. Anyway, when is time to move these critters? DH thinks winter.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: moving a red hot poker

Some of the Kniphofias have this way of snapping off their tufts just above the root mass... The best time to divide them is spring and make sure each part has a good bunch of roots.

For general moving, provided you aren't expecting a droughty winter, autumn can be good to let the roots establish with plenty of moisture. Perhaps mid-October to mid-November, if your soil is still warm and workable then.

Or late winter. Enough time to establish before the drier seasons come in.

(Quick thought: when did you plant originally?)

o

I planted them in fall of last year. Plant was in a one gallon bucket. The base of each plant is at least 18" across by now. We have very claylike soil but they are on a slope so there is good drainage.
Do we just dig a circle around the base and down into the soil below the roots and then divide them in half like we do with the day lilies?

I am not sure if this is normal or just the weird weather we have had. They bloomed later than the neighborhood pokers and are now going through a second bloom. I thought they only bloomed once. Guess they are happy in our yard.

o

Just dug up many shoots off my red hot poker plant today.
put them in plastic grocery bags and in the garage right now. (four plants per bag)
Plan on bringing some in to work tomorrow for friends.
Will they be ok like this? and for how long?
Last year I divided some Hostas and they sat in a bucket for weeks before planted and lived - these plants are pretty much bare rooted though, but in bags to protect from air.
Should I wet them or leave alone and again - how long before MUST plant - rainy week ahead - worried wont be able to right away.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tips & Techniques Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here