Return to the Tips & Techniques Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bringing plants indoors without bugs

Posted by dirt_farmer 6 (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 20, 13 at 0:06

Hi,
Soon I will need to bring my potted plants as freezing temperatures are on the horizon.
Is there any way to keep bugs that are in the plants soil, or on the plant itself from also coming inside ?
Thanks for any feedback, I'm someone must have a solution for this common problem.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bringing plants indoors without bugs

The only way to really kill them off is freezing or heating the soil in an oven.

The best way to deal with this is just to put a bag over the pot and tie it off at the trunk or stem.

Of course, that won't work with some bushes. Maybe some DE (Diatomateous Earth) sprinkled over the top and a bit in the drain holes would kill them. That wouldn't do anything about the eggs though.

o
RE: bringing plants indoors without bugs

For the past 3 years I have submerged all my plants in a container of soapy water before bringing inside. This has worked very well. It possibly might not kill some white fly eggs but has been a great help.
rose

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tips & Techniques Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here