Return to the Tips & Techniques Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pressure Treated lumber for raised beds?

Posted by coldlime Upstate NY (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 9, 06 at 9:07

Should I make a few beds using pressure treated wood ? Is it bad for edibles? Can I get sick?
any tips?
Hope this is the correct fourm for this question

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pressure Treated lumber for raised beds?

Coldlime, CCA has been used to pressure treat lumber since the 1940s. Since the 1970s, the majority of the wood used in outdoor residential settings has been CCA-treated wood. Pressure treated wood containing CCA is no longer being produced for use in most residential settings.

That said, people do it all the time. You'll have to decide for yourself. Below is a link to an article that may be of help to you in deciding. There have been many discussions here at gardenweb on this subject. You can do a gardenweb search on "pressure treated lumber" if you'd care to read some of those.

One last thing...there is a vegetable gardening forum here at gardenweb. If you post this query there, you'll get a lot more responses than you will here.

Here is a link that might be useful: Does Pressure-Treated Wood Belong in Your Garden?

o
RE: Pressure Treated lumber for raised beds?

Hi Coldlime,
My "significant other" built 2 lovely raised beds, using CCA timbers, 2 years ago this fall, so this was our second year using them.

He used 2-10' x 12" timbers for each box, then stacked the boxes 2-high so we don't have to bend over so far for harvesting! The secret to our success was that he was able to obtain some over-sized pieces of REALLY heavy duty black plastic, with which he lined each 2-high grow-box (including the whole bottom). Weeding?? No weeds at all, thanks to that same black plastic.

We have grown chilis, Roma tomatoes, lettuces, spinach, beets, cucumbers...no leeching nasty chemicals from the CCA wood OR the plastic liner. "He done good!"

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tips & Techniques Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here