Return to the Tips & Techniques Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
transplanting a forsythia

Posted by cateyanne (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 15, 06 at 10:02

My forsythia was salvaged about 7 years ago from my mothers garden where it was not growing or blooming, it had been there about 3 years. I placed it in my front yard close to the front bedroom window. It was a very large open location but alas, my forsythia has florished and for the last couple of years I have had to prune heavily to keep it from eating the house entirely! It is glorious in spring, I balance off the intense yellow on the other side of the house with lots of daffodils and it looks great. But, I really need to move him. I am trying to establish a more uniformly landscaped front and I would really love to see the forsythia take off in a full sun, open location. I have plenty of room in the back yard but as it's been in this location so long I am afraid of loosing it with a move. How can I be sure I won't damage it? Also I have enjoyed this lovely screen of foliage in front of the window and am reluctant to have a bare place open to the sidewalk and street. What can I plant in it's place to provide spring color and a privacy screen the rest of the year? Suggestions Anyone?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: transplanting a forsythia

• Posted by skraps 6a ontario (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 22, 06 at 16:56

I have lots of forsythia to so I know what you mean. I have not personally moved one .In the spring when it as finished blooming I trim tops and stick them in the ground they take root easily. Sorry I could not have been more help on moving it.

o
RE: transplanting a forsythia

There's probably lots of plant material that would provide spring color and year-round screening - Which ones are best suited for your consideration will depend on many factors: some weather guidelines (where you live, or what USDA zone), what exposure (N, S, E, W?) and amount of sun, the type of soil and drainage in this location, and the amount of space you have (both width and height).

As for moving the forsythia, my experience has been that they don't resent being moved. We've moved several about the yard, some as large as 6' high. Our soil is very poor and sandy, so I prepare a large new hole generously amended with well-composted shredded leaves and a touch of cow manure. We take as large a root ball as we can manage, but usually still wind up cutting a few extremely long roots. We then set the plant at the same height at which it had been growing, water in well, add leaf mulch on top, and make sure it has sufficient water until we feel it has settled in. The leaves may look a little limp at first, but they perk up before long. I find they bloom well even the first spring after the move, which I usually do in late summer/early fall. Now, maybe we've just been lucky, or have a particularly hardy type of forsythia, so I hope someone else may chime in here and that you will consider carefully before you move the plant. I knew full well there was a risk I could lose each one, but was willing to take that chance.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tips & Techniques Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here