Return to the Tips & Techniques Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Removal of thick ground cover

Posted by katee_2006 (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 8, 06 at 21:03

We recently moved into a new (to us) house. The original owner planted some type of ground cover in a bed next to a fence. I'm not a fan and as far as I'm concerned, it's a weed. Over the many years since the ground cover was originally planted, it's grown to be a very thick tangled mass--in some places 8 inches or more of dense runners. It doesn't really seem to have sunk many roots into the soil--its mainly growing horizontally. I've been cutting it out in blocks using a root knife. This hasn't been easy work, but I've been managing. The problem is that I've gotten to a section where the previous owner planted jasmine to grow up the fence. The jasmine has sent roots growing out through the groundcover and in some places its really too thick for my root knife.

I thought perhaps someone could suggest an easier way (or better yet an easy to use power tool) to remove this stuff. Thanks,KE

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Removal of thick ground cover

If Round-Up won't kill whatever it is, then try to find 'Vine-X'. It's the ONLY thing that would kill my invasive Ivy ground cover, but you have to 'paint' it on each 'piece' of vine. I couldn't find it locally, so google it. It's amazing. They will also give you advice from their site.

Westy1941

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tips & Techniques Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here