Return to the Tips & Techniques Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ivy Issues

Posted by soulcielo 10 (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 11, 13 at 1:11

I was wondering if anyone here could help my husband and I decide what to do about our ivy situation in the backyard. We were told by our gardener that it would be better to remove all the ivy and plant another ground cover before it got out of hand and would end up growing roots thick enough to break through our retaining wall. (He shared that one of his other clients had ivy in their backyard and ended up breaking through their wall causing $10K worth of damage. Yikes!)

Right now we are trying to decide whether or not we should just have the ivy trimmed down or to actually go through the process of removing and replanting the entire hillside. The cost is considerably different and we're just not sure if it's worth the investment.

Thank you for your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ivy Issues

I believe that if this situation was presented to me, I'd ask for the other client's name and ask if I might speak with them... with their permission of course. It could be that the other party had contributing factors that didn't involve the ivy at all, ie: improper drainage, shifting fill soils, inadequate wall design, etc.
Not saying that your man isn't being truthful at all BUT when potentially large amounts of money are involved, I want several opinions in addition to the original one. You might want to get an opinion from a registered soil and/or landscape professional, even if you have to pay for the opinion.
Steve in TX

This post was edited by TXSkeeter on Sat, Oct 12, 13 at 13:25

o
RE: Ivy Issues

• Posted by aswhad belgium-europe (My Page) on
    Sat, Oct 19, 13 at 15:36

If the wall is in a good condition there is no problem, ivy is very common over here and i have knowledge of problems of that kind.
Invasive? no doubt about that, thus trim trim trim.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tips & Techniques Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here