Return to the Tips & Techniques Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
eradicating groundcover

Posted by sailsmart 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 27, 09 at 11:54

I'm ridding my large beds of groundcover, a creeping periwinkle and euonymous vine, which is completely green, not variegated. I'm sorry I ever put it in as it's disastrous, climbing up trees, intertwining into my hydrangeas and worse. It's so prolific, especially after a wet summer that the roots have become deep and essentially escaped into more than I can handle. I did mulch this year with 2 loads of tree clippings - hoping that this would keep the lot at bay. But the leather like undergrowth is as hardy as ever! I won't use roundup. Have heard that vinegar is a possible killer. If I use newspaper, will that completely destroy it over time? I've been chopping it and replanting hostas there. Please give me advice on what will work forever!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: eradicating groundcover

I think you'll need to wade in there with your boots on & dig the roots out.

I've had good luck with a *generous* application of 10% (pickling strength) vinegar in beds in full Texas sun in August, but not with less sun or lower temps.

or...
You can always advertise on your locat craigslist & freecycle that you have free groundcover for people who are willing to dig their own!

Just be sure you supervise;
people don't always know what they're doing.

Best luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tips & Techniques Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here