Return to the Tips & Techniques Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bringing houseplants indoors

Posted by leahbird MA (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 18, 09 at 15:33

I'm bringing in my houseplants after the summer, and I'm sure they're infested with insects in the soil... not only slugs, probably, but other undesirables. Does anyone have suggestions about how to "rinse" out the soil without using insecticide? I seem to remember something about Epsom Salts from years ago, but it's hazy.
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bringing houseplants indoors

Put a plastic bag tight over your pot covering the surface soil,with a hole big enough for the trunck, preferable with an elastic, so the soil won't float out from the top.

Then, sink your plants in a tub or bucket so the pot is completely submerged for no less than 10 minutes. This will drown anything living in that soil, and anything that wants to breath will rise to the surface and die anyway.

You might get a suprised with what you see, and then maybe not. I can promise you any critters in that soil will suffocate. I am not sure of eggs, but I have never had a soil pest problem after this treatment when I use to use any kind of organic or peaty soil.

Those days are over now, since I use a much grittier soiless mix discovered on the container forums...

Hope this helps. You can avoid chemicals with this method. I am sure there are others, but this has worked for me..

Goodluck..:-)

Mike

o
RE:sorry, one more thing

Sorry, I idd still have a pest problem with just one pest which is a reason why I turned to the gritty mix..

Knats! Evrything else died though!

o
RE: Bringing houseplants indoors

I had to bring my plants in about a month ago to kill/ remove molusks you could leave a small dish of beer on the soil, pick the molusks off at night because that's when they come out. they also hate spearmint if you have any around. For gnats or soil bugs the best way is to allow centipedes to do their job, they are preditory insects. They did the trick in the soil of my aroids. when ever you water all of the bugs will come out. It is nearly impossible or very difficult if bugs have a colony so you may have to pick bugs off. I still have a few bugs around so I have sown seeds of Chrysanthemum cinerariaefolium because it is the flower that Pyrethrum is derived from and dried flower heads are safe enough to handle and potent enough to deter most insects. The only insect pests I know the flower won't deter are molusks and the chrysanthemum leaf borer. It is the same flower used in Dog and cat flea/tick preventitive so if you get flowers established add them to your houseplant collection Spearmint would also be a good addition to help prevent insect and molusk attacks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tips & Techniques Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here