Return to the Tips & Techniques Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
seed starting in egg shell

Posted by chueh 7 GA (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 15, 07 at 18:39

I am not successful at all when it comes to transplanting seedlings into the ground. I am thinking of sowing seeds in egg shells, so the seedlings would not get shock when they are being transplanted. However, I do have a concern. How long would it take to decompose egg shell? Wouldn't the root bound happen in the egg shells? Or is it better to buy those individually wrapped peat moss like compacted disks (sold in 12, 24, 36... in a bag or with a plastic flat)? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: seed starting in egg shell

It takes an eggshell a long time to break done. Instead I would use the peat pots. Be aware that peat pots dry out easily so when you water the seedlings make sure that the peat pots get fully saturated as well.

o

Thank you very much

o

Chueh, one thing you can do when transplanting peat pots into the ground is to make sure that they are completely covered with soil. If the top of the pot is above ground, it acts as a wick and pulls moisture up into the air.

This may not be a problem for you but an early experience in my porous soil and dry climate almost convinced me never to use peat pots again. But, they aren't a problem if you "bury" them.

Steve

o

You might want to consider using newspaper pots instead of peat. Link is to commercial type, but you can make them by using a small piece of wood instead. I use a 1" dowel from the craft store because I like smaller pots for starting seeds. wrap several layers of paper around the dowel and firmly twist and scrunch down on the tabletop, to fold the bottom.

Like peat pots, they should be buried below ground level when trasplanting into the garden.

If the link reverts to the home page [it did when I checked], use the search box for item 34-098.

Here is a link that might be useful: paper pots

o

I like to start my seeds in something that they can grow in for a while. I think longer =better (less disturbed)1/2 or 1/3 of the bottom portion of a plastic 2 litre soda container with a few drainage holes works great for me. cut the top portion of the bottle a little shorter and use as a top cover and you have a mini green house . and they can stay there a long time

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tips & Techniques Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here