Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jusdewit

Help for itchy bites

jusdewit
20 years ago

I read this somewhere-then tried it,and it works!Get a washcloth wet with the VERY hottest water you can tolerate and immediately press it firmly on the itchy spot. (The more it burns at first,the better the results for me.) Supposedly this confuses/over-amps the nerve endings in that area so that any sensation of "itch" is greatly reduced or eliminated for long periods.No pain,no gain!

Comments (30)

• ezgrower
    20 years ago

I've found the same sort of thing works for poison ivy rash (except I run the hottest water I can stand over the rash).

• taylor_tx
    20 years ago

white vinegar

• Ina Plassa_travis
    20 years ago

aldolph's meat tenderizer works well on bites and stings...

I use hot vinegar on everything else.

• leubafr
    20 years ago

Skim milk dabbed on poison ivy not only helps with the itching but it speeds up healing. Dab it often.
    Leubafr

• captstinky
    20 years ago

Raw onions rubbed into skeeter bites makes them gow away. Also basil leaves help take the itch out; plus they smell better than the onions.

• mcrean1
    20 years ago

My son says Mom's kisses seem to work. Good for boo-boo's too.

• scooty
    20 years ago

For mosquito and blackfly bites I use household ammonia. It works, just be patient. Try to not scratch too much before the ammonia goes on - otherwise you will scream.

• APRIL_823
    20 years ago

There is a product called "Itch Eraser"- the main ingredient is ammonia as listed above. It really works, you can buy it at Academy. It's comes in a container that looks like an inkpen.

• cynthiacTX
    20 years ago

I soak in some baking soda and warm water. That works great for fire ant bites, and hornet or bee stings! Pulls out the poison.

I also put Ambesol on the bites; esp. for mosquito bites. It takes ALL the feeling out of them.

Ambesol worked great for my dog when she had a couple hot spots. The vet approved the idea and started telling other patients. Great when you can't make it to the vet that day. Because they will chew themselves raw. :(

• bolecke
    20 years ago

Jewelweed cream for Poison ivy..not a bite, but itchy

• angiebeagles
    20 years ago

I've also heard that regular dish soap, full strength on fire ant bites. Since i have picked up that bit of information, i have not had the opportunity to try it (yet- it's only a matter of time however). But i will also remember the baking soda, just in case!

• shaylaroo
    20 years ago

I seem to be a itchy bug biters magnet. Even in weather when no mosquitoes are generally complained about....YEP, that one rogue demom skitter finds me!! Two of my three daughters also inherited this problem. I have to spray the 7 yr. olds clothing before bed and again for the day!! As for taking away the itch----I thought I had exhausted every available avenue. Alas, hot as you can stand it water. Wash clothe or right in the water stream. Depending on where your bite is. I use the microwave to keep reheating the damp/wet compress so I can do it more then once on my tough itiches. Last summer I scored 25 bits from the waist up in 15 min with a shirt and deets on. Help!!

• joy4me
    20 years ago

Mylanta on rashes
    bleach dabbed on bites
    ammonia dabbed on bites
    aloe vera gel on either

JoyW

• BobHanford
    20 years ago

A wet tea-bag put on a bee-sting works great. It is the tannic acid in the tea that instantly dulls the pain. Unfortunately, as soon as the bag is removed the pain returns, but as long as it is secured in place it works.

I suspect the effect would be the same for itchy-ness.

• dusty_rose_lag2004
    19 years ago

I use an ice cube on mosquito bites! Works for me!

• lotter
    19 years ago

Vinegar or ammonia are good for itchy bites/rashes. They seem to neutralize the toxin that causes the itch.

• Robin_northtexas
    19 years ago

When my BF had poison ivy he would use a blow dryer as hot as he could stand it. It releases the histamines. Also dabbing on bleach(it doesn't sting) and then rinsing off well works. Robin

• jungl_cat
    19 years ago

I get bites behind the knees that swell to almost palm-size and itch like hell. I've found that rubbing gels for pain relief, like Blue Ice (used for sore muscles, backache, sprains, arthritic/rheumatic pain, etc.) when rubbed around the bite area helps soothe the itch when the heat kicks in. it may be worth a try, I find it works well for me and is long lasting as well.

• jimbo45247
    19 years ago

Our recent issue of Parents magazine recommends stick deodorant for mosquito bites. My daughter gets rather large welts from mosquito bites and I tried the deod treatment. The swelling went down drastically after one application, and the itching disappeared. Only drawback...she didn't like the scent. Guess I'll use mom's stuff next time that smells pretty.

• intheboot
    19 years ago

I see this is an old post but I have to add. I have suffered, yes suffered with bug bites for years and have found to my delight a 'cure'

The hair dryer. It does work. I cannot vouch for how your husband will feel, being woken up at 3am with the blow dryer going beside the bed, but after 20 seconds of that the itch is gone. Better he is a little stirred than you scratching for hours.

I only found this a month ago but myself and young son have been delighted with the results.

Good luck.

• angelfairy
    19 years ago

Poison Ivy and other rashes: Homeopathic remedy Rhus Tox 6X-30C strengths. Works like magic.

Fire Ants: Lightly dab bleach on bites and rinse off after a minute or two. You will get no reaction what-so-ever from the bites/stings they produce. Dilute to 20% for children and do not use on very young children or anyone with sensitive skin.

• potty
    19 years ago

i read somewhere that impatients were good for bug bites. not sure how you use them though.

• donnalah
    16 years ago

next time you are stung by ants, smear the "Secret" (solid regular white) deodorant on.....within seconds, the itchy burn stops!

• dorisl
    16 years ago

benadryl.

:)

• grannyant
    16 years ago

Colloidal silver - takes away the itch, reduces the swelling.

• junek-2009
    13 years ago

Try toothpaste - it does really work!!! Just a little dab will do.

• meg_y_live_com
    12 years ago

Yup, I know this is gross but if you put some syliva on your finger and hold it against you itchy bite, it takes the itch away!

• heatherlaca_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I use "After Bite" it contains ammonia too. Its also pretty cheap. around 2 to 3 dollars and it works immediately.

• Leswedeen_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

Ok I know this sounds strange but it REALLY works!!!!! If u take a lighter and hold it as close to your skin as possible for as long as you can take it it'll make the itch go away!:) trust me just try it it REALLY works

• kim48
    12 years ago

Tea tree oil works great. Just dab some on and the itch disappears, then the redness does too. I am allergic and this worked instantly for me.