Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lullabyf360

How do you protect your plants during the winter?

LullabyF360
10 years ago

Even though a tree or a shrub is planted in spring, it is still young enough to be severly damaged by frost. Some plants just cannot be brought into the house during the cold temperatures, & not everyone has the space or finances for a greenhouse large enough for all of their young plants that are hardy in their zone. I reguarly see black or white trash bags tied over young trees. To be honest, I do not see how opaque plastic bags can allow sunlight in, & in my head, I see that as detrimental to what is being protected. I am using clear plastic bags a lady from Walmart was generous to give me (they use them for their store trash cans but do not sale them in stores. Neither my Lowes or Home Depot had them. Bizzare). I was once given the tip to use blankets from thrift stores. I am in north Louisiana, so my winters are as bipolar as a desert: freezing during the night; warm during the day. That being said, those I see with plastic covered plants leave the covering on day in, day out. At some point would it need to be removed to let the plant breath or at least recieve sunlight? Some of the plants I have seen being covered do not go dormant during the winter. I am just a little puzzled by what I have traditionally seen in my area & would like everyone insight to how they protect their outdoor plants from the cold & frost.

Comments (8)