Return to the Tips & Techniques Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
new garden

Posted by owllady N.D. zone 4a (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 6, 06 at 20:45

I have no idea if this is the appropriate forum for this question, but here goes.

I want to plant a new garden in my backyard. I have an area of lawn that a tree fell on, and now the grass there is dead. I've never built a garden in this situation. What's the best way to go about it? Does it need to be a raised garden, or is that optional? If not a raised one, how do I prepare the soil? I know the grass roots have to be ripped out.

I want mostly perennials but some annuals. I keep picturing the finished site as a raised mound covered with wood mulch.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: new garden

Maybe I can help you. First, you do not need to remove the dead grass regardless of the design option you choose. Next is you can either have a flat or raised garden. The choice is yours, and having a raised garden only requires adding topsoil to the area where the garden will be located. Look in your local yellow pages under Topsoil or Landscape Contractors. Tell them the dimensions of the area and they can tell you how much you will need.

With either a flat or raised garden, the easiest way to amend the soil is using the lasagna method. The link below will give you some information, plus do a search on the forums using the word 'lasagna' and you will find all the answers you need .... and keep you reading for hours!! :-)

If you begin amending the soil now, it would be in good shape to plant in the spring.

Here is a link that might be useful: Creating A Bed Without Tilling

o

Great! Thanks so much! This is definitely a big help. I see I have my work cut out for me, but I expected that. This is great. :-D

Marcia

o

Let me add one comment about the addition of top soil. It's important that you do not simply layer a non native soil on top of what you already have, but incorporate it in by tilling. Artificial soil layers can cause problems with drainage. You want that soil to be as homogenized as possible.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tips & Techniques Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here