Return to the Tips & Techniques Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Using Vodka in plant water

Posted by debbysunshine san diego (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 29, 07 at 0:25

I had heard of using Vodka but never gave it a go. Recently I took a cutting and put it in a glass with water and a bit of Vodka and instead of a couple of weeks to see growth overnite was all it took. Now just to see what happens if it will grow. It's still a bit cold at night to propigate but everything is growing now here in San Diego.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Using Vodka in plant water

I cannot think of any textbook reason for using alcohol.

o

I'd guess it's the sugar that really does the trick;
just for fun, you might try using vodka on one & plain sugar on another.

I'd hate to waste expensive vodka when sugar would do the job!

o

Vodka has been studied as a growth retardant and may prove to be valuable for flowering plants. It apparently produces stockier stems (and sturdier) without affecting the size and quality of the bloom.

o

Well, my hubby is around and the elephants on the wall are blowing bubbles.

o

I found if you keep drinking the vodka, it SEEMS like the plants root faster. All those lost days.....:)

o

I've heard of using dilute alcohol (ethanol) solutions to stunt plant growth. I've done this with paper whites--it shortens the topgrowth but doesn't interfere with root development. Keeps the darned things from getting a yard tall and flopping over! I don't have the recipe handy, but I'm sure you can find it by doing a web search. It was a Cornell professor who was doing the research.

o

Ethanol is pretty much toxic to most living things at some level. I'd say this would be a waste of alcohol! Drink it instead, and save your sugar for tea. I'd think you'd get some unwanted microorganisms in your water if you add sugar to the solution. Stick with water and/or rooting hormone!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tips & Techniques Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here