Return to the Tips & Techniques Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to get rid of Honey Bees?

Posted by MalaysiaFlowers KL/Mal (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 12, 05 at 8:13

Hi,

It has been 2 weeks since I returned to my weekend home. Saw a honey bee hive nearby to the kitchen. Will the bees fly away pretty soon? How should we get rid of it. We are worried about our 1 year old niece!

Any suggestions?

Malaysia Flowers

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to get rid of Honey Bees?

In the US many people give their problem bees to beekeepers.

I don't know if that is an option in Malaysia, please let us know.

Gardenweb has a beekeeper forum at the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: GW beekeeper forum

o

Are you sure it's honey bees and not wasps or hornets? Generally bees will not bother you unless you threaten their hive. I showed my 2 year old grandson how I can "pet" bumblebees while they are busy gathering nectar so that he would be unafraid of them.

o

For several years, honey bees sneak into the wall of my house in the Spring time and started to build their home, making big chunks of honey combs. I have to call bee remover. The bee remover knows which part of the wall the bees might be, and thus take away part of my wall and remove the bees. They usually do the job at night. The repair is very costly afterwards.

o

Honeybees are a great bonus to a yard - I can't think of a bed of flowers without the humming and bumbling of clumsy honeybees moving from flower to flower. They are so funny to watch and not dangerous at all!

Wasps and hornets, on the other hand, are dangerous and aggressive and nests should not be around people. We get black hornets here. There is a product I buy in the hardware stores that effectively kills them, and that I can spray on the nests from far away. Its better to do this when it is cold or with smoke around the nest to make the wasps or hornets as sleepy as possible. They will chase and sting any threat to their nests so be prepared to get inside quick! I dont know if this is true or just my experience, but I have found that hornets dont chase me as much when I run up stairs instead of down stairs.

All in all, I have been stung only once when I stepped on a honeybee by accident and that was entirely my fault.

My parents tell me I kept a bee in a jar as a 'pet' for a few days when I was very small. Then my Dad made the mistake of telling me I could put it in the freezer and, once the cold made it too sleepy to fly, I could tie a string around it's neck like a leash. That was the end of my bee!

o

The bees are at two different places of the house. They just started yesterday. Is there a deterant we can use?

o

If you are having difficulty with bees, please call a professional. If they are honey bees, the hive can be relocated.

Honey bee populations have been decreasing at an alarming rate and humans depend on the work of honey bees for the pollenation (and thus production) of a very large percentage of food crops.

Please click on any of the links that appear in the linked search and become more educated about this mysterious problem.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tips & Techniques Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here