Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chipper-Shredder Vibration Injury

Posted by BillCando none (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 27, 14 at 0:01

Anyone suffering hand and digit damage from vibration of chipping. If so how do you treat the pain. Both my wife and I have pain in our left hand, wrist, fingers and thumb. This has gone on for over a year for both and Doctors can't find reason. Common denominator is chipper-shredder.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chipper-Shredder Vibration Injury

• Posted by ericwi Dane County WI (My Page) on
    Mon, Jan 27, 14 at 0:30

I have never suffered nerve damage in either hand from vibration, however, I have had temporary symptoms of nerve incapacity in my hands from bicycle riding. There is a tendency to lean on the hands, and if they are kept in the same position for too long, some of the nerves don't work so well. So far, it has gone away after I got off the bike, and rested for a day or two.

o

Dull blades on the chipper make you have to push the wood in. If they're sharp you have to hold back on the larger pieces to keep from bogging the engine down. Wearing heavy cotton gloves will help also.
Mike

o

I have some gloves with a very thick layer of insulation that do a good job of isolating my hands from the vibration.

ZM

o

Your symptoms sound exactly like mine, which turned out to be compressed discs in my spine. Once properly diagnosed, a few sessions with my chiro. for traction and other treatments cured the pain.

A friend of mine also had similar symptoms and his was traced to carpel tunnel.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here