Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
raygrogan

Help please - chainsaw starts fine but dies when given gas

raygrogan
12 years ago

The chainsaw is pretty new, a Poulan 16".

Normal starting routine - prime, choke, pull about 3 times til it fires a little, then push choke off, pull a few more times till it starts. At that stage there is an automatic fast idle going. If it was running fine, I'd let that fast idle go 30 sec or so til warmed up, then pull the throtle which kicks off the auto fast, and it should drop into a normal idle mode, ready to start cutting.

But now the auto fast stage seems a little fast (maybe not).. When I give it any gas it dies almost instantly. Sometimes I can keep it struggling for a minute by pulling the throtle on and off constantly, but it basically dies.

Any ideas? It seems too new to need anything. The gas has been sitting for 6 mos.

Thanks, Ray

Comments (18)

• rcmoser
    12 years ago

Most likely carb. adjusted too lean, Fuel line cracked sucking air, or vacuum leak, If you let corn gas set in it the carb. could be plugged up don't take long for corn gas to pull up carb. in some cases.

• loger_gw
    12 years ago

��The gas has been sitting for 6 mos.��

1. Was the gas treated with StaBil or othar gas stabalizers?
    2. Dump the tank into a clear container and examine the gas for moisture, trash, Gunk and etc.
    3. Fish the filter out with a wire hook and examiner the filter and fuel line, also at carb under air cleaner cover.
    4. Sounds like fresh fuel and a dose of Ewalks recommended Carb cleaner might help.
    5. Look at this thread below. Good Luck! loger

RE: Toro 2450 Snowblower Problem
    �h Posted by ewalk (My Page) on
    Sun, Jan 30, 11 at 10:05
    Big: Sounds like fouled carb . You have probable ethanol fuel related gumming which is causing the inlet valve to stick open and flood the engine , do you have a manual fuel shutoff ? if so ensure to use it . Get some concentrated carb cleaner and add 2 ounces to your FRESH Fuel . Let it sit for approx 20 minutes . Then attempt to start the engine without choke . It may take a few attempts . Once started run it at high idle setting until it warms up . If this fails you may have to remove the float bowl and ensure that the inlet needle valve is moving freely under the float . I don't know how old your unit is but a new spark plug would be a good Error! Hyperlink reference not valid. also , since your current one has been repeatedly fouled . Keep it for a spare once you have corrected you starting issues . Keep us posted . I would not give the local Dealer 2 cents of business , if required there must be other honest small engine repair shops who will assist with a reasonable repair cost . Usually $50.00 is the seasonal/annual tune up rate every where that I have dealt ..all the best !

• ewalk
    12 years ago

Yep as Loger advised fuel lines and filter are the 1st inspection required . The weighted filter unit ensures that the suction of fuel is not compromised .

• Steve Woodburn
    8 years ago

Ok, so I'm in the same boat as the original poster. I've now replaced the fuel line (was clogged and constricted) and filter with aftermarket. Barely got it back together and now it will run on the fast idle, like, forever, then when I simmer it with the throttle it just kills it, any throttle just snuffs it out. Is it possible I messed up the throttle linkage? It's never had stabilizer in the gas, so expect there's a bunch of gunk.

• loger_gw
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

“Steve Woodburn

Ok, so I'm in the same boat as the original poster.”

I would suggest disassembling inspecting the carb since the fuel has not been treated and you have seen clogs. Possibly there is a fine screen in your Carb that could be restricted. The fuel in the bottom line is being filtered inside the carb. I do not know if all 2cycle carbs have the screen. I feel, I have seen it in most I have cleaned.

• ssewalk1
    6 years ago

Sorry Olivia but you need a few more pills , straying off topic again , elect saw is not req,d !

• loger_gw
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

IMO the Electric Chainsaw has a place in working fire wood “at home only” in my case. I am bringing pre-cut wood home to cut and split to meet my needs. My 3, 16” Poulan S-25 gas saws have gotten the best of me since the Mid 70s. All 3 are still running but the maintenance for my small use and “Whip” to start “yearly was becoming a challenge.

Long story short! Get a saw that meet your needs and ability to maintain. That was a
    Poulan S-25 in the Mid 70s. I learned quick to never leave home w/o spare parts and even a 2nd saw (due to my 20 mile trip to the Ranch I had permission to take dangerous dead or forked trees from (due to horses). Recently, the Co-Worker that I started working wood with using the same Poulan saw worked close. I’m use to hearing and checking what is being cut 1-2+ blocks away. Working
    2 houses away. I could not hear his newer Stihl Chainsaw. With the
    compression release, it did not take a whip to start.

He put good money into a good saw and cut his wood into blocks to born if needed. I put money into an electric log Splitter and Electric saws (All donated and
    impressive for the need) all to be used at home.

I have my muffs on and reading glasses are fogged, “What did you say”?

• ssewalk1
    6 years ago

Loger , Bud your missing the entire point . This post has nothing to do with Electric Chainsaws . Rather a forum for Olivia whomever to schill what ever product she wishs . The original poster requested help within a hard starting saw. On another thread she recommended replacing a defective table saw blade with and entirely new saw of her choice 6 yrs after the fact in that case . P.S. Have you once seen her respond back after her initial post ? There have been numerous people with vast knowledge over the yrs contributing to this forum with their expertise , unfortunately many are no longer with us , honor their contributions not Olivia,s pocketbook

• 300ft_anin
    6 years ago

go get her/him/? sse

• ssewalk1
    6 years ago

lmao 300ft , yeah I suppose this poss Olivia could be in Drag !

• 300ft_anin
    6 years ago

hard to tell with that pic??

• loger_gw
    6 years ago

I use my camera to zoom some carbs, muffler’s screens and
    cylinder’s walls through the muffler port and Etc if needed for close inspections,
    for the records and sharing. Mastering installing the new Carb screen using
    an eraser or etc is a killer for me. I know I need to see a Tech do it once and
    need to ck a youtube (any links) Have you mastered and tips how “Please”.

On one that was a “must clean”. I picked it out from the
    side since fuel did not filter through with a dry wall screw. Scrubbed good
    with a small wire brush and flushed with carb cleaner. I pressed it back in with an eraser or etc. The hedge trimmer ran as smooth as you could
    expect.

With enough Trash Etc the screen can block your fuel flow. The screen, fuel metering needle and diaphragms have taught me some good needs on rebuilding Carbs . I found the metering spec related to a level part but someone might share a rule of thumbs. The diaphragm should have a rubber affect vs staff plastic.

• 300ft_anin
    6 years ago

i think a 3/8 drill bit fits that hole? obviously using the insert end. yes those diaphragms should be flexible. this is a good video to watch, informative. i meant to say shank end.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWBre4-tHsg

• ssewalk1
    6 years ago

Great simplistic approach and I love the English narration 300' !

• Coby Chan
    5 years ago

hi my chain saw start and wen I push gas itdies

• Coby Chan
    5 years ago

it seems that the carb don't suchthegas

• Coby Chan
    5 years ago