Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help please - chainsaw starts fine but dies when given gas

Posted by raygrogan Iowa and Hawaii (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 19, 12 at 0:23

The chainsaw is pretty new, a Poulan 16".

Normal starting routine - prime, choke, pull about 3 times til it fires a little, then push choke off, pull a few more times till it starts. At that stage there is an automatic fast idle going. If it was running fine, I'd let that fast idle go 30 sec or so til warmed up, then pull the throtle which kicks off the auto fast, and it should drop into a normal idle mode, ready to start cutting.

But now the auto fast stage seems a little fast (maybe not).. When I give it any gas it dies almost instantly. Sometimes I can keep it struggling for a minute by pulling the throtle on and off constantly, but it basically dies.

Any ideas? It seems too new to need anything. The gas has been sitting for 6 mos.

Thanks, Ray

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help please - chainsaw starts fine but dies when given gas

Most likely carb. adjusted too lean, Fuel line cracked sucking air, or vacuum leak, If you let corn gas set in it the carb. could be plugged up don't take long for corn gas to pull up carb. in some cases.

o

��The gas has been sitting for 6 mos.��

1. Was the gas treated with StaBil or othar gas stabalizers?
2. Dump the tank into a clear container and examine the gas for moisture, trash, Gunk and etc.
3. Fish the filter out with a wire hook and examiner the filter and fuel line, also at carb under air cleaner cover.
4. Sounds like fresh fuel and a dose of Ewalks recommended Carb cleaner might help.
5. Look at this thread below. Good Luck! loger

RE: Toro 2450 Snowblower Problem
�h Posted by ewalk (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 30, 11 at 10:05
Big: Sounds like fouled carb . You have probable ethanol fuel related gumming which is causing the inlet valve to stick open and flood the engine , do you have a manual fuel shutoff ? if so ensure to use it . Get some concentrated carb cleaner and add 2 ounces to your FRESH Fuel . Let it sit for approx 20 minutes . Then attempt to start the engine without choke . It may take a few attempts . Once started run it at high idle setting until it warms up . If this fails you may have to remove the float bowl and ensure that the inlet needle valve is moving freely under the float . I don't know how old your unit is but a new spark plug would be a good Error! Hyperlink reference not valid. also , since your current one has been repeatedly fouled . Keep it for a spare once you have corrected you starting issues . Keep us posted . I would not give the local Dealer 2 cents of business , if required there must be other honest small engine repair shops who will assist with a reasonable repair cost . Usually $50.00 is the seasonal/annual tune up rate every where that I have dealt ..all the best !

o

Yes! Thanks for all the tips. The problem turned out to be the fuel filter, it had come off the end of the fuel line and was just laying in the gas tank, so probably just pulling air when the saw was upright. Stuck it back on and it fired right up. Thanks again. Ray

o

Yep as Loger advised fuel lines and filter are the 1st inspection required . The weighted filter unit ensures that the suction of fuel is not compromised .

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here