Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yungman_gw

Lookiing for quart or half gallon gas container

yungman
16 years ago

Anyone know where can I buy a quart size or at most half gallon gas container. I don't want to use any bottle because of unapproved material might dissolve in gas and cause leaking or damage motor. I have been looking on the web and can't find anything except the oil mixing bottle on Amazon.com. Still those are for oil only. Now I put gas in it and let it sit for a few months on a pan( just in case it start leaking) and see whether the gas attack the plastic.

I use gas very slow, What I do now is using gas tank from old trimmer engine I bought on ebay, disassemble engine to learn and use the gas tank, block the tubes and use them for storing mix. I try to mix small quantity and fill it full together with Stabil so it will maximize the storage life, one quart at a time. But I would really like to buy a known size for easier measurement when mixing. It is hard to guess the size of the gas tank taken off from an old motor.

Thanks

Comments (29)

• yakimadn
    16 years ago

When I got my stihl brushcutter, the guy gave me a small plastic bottle (pint?) with markings on it. Only holds a tankful, but guess it would be handy if you ran out several hundred yards from the big can. Most motor oil comes with markings by a clear strip on te bottle. Should hold gas fine.

Dave

• den69rs96
    16 years ago

Why not just buy a 1 gallon container and mark the container with sharpie or some paint/tape etc at 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, and 1 gallon. If you hold most containers up to the light, you can see how much fuel is in them. Seems a lot easier than trying to find a gas approved 1 quart container.

• yungman
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The reason to get the smaller bottle is because gas keep longer if it is full, less air in the container. You mix one quart at a time and it will be full in a quart size bottle.
    Also it is a lot easier to measure gas. I tried using the gallon container. It is hard to get precise amount. At 50:1, I think it is very important to be precise....at least not less oil than 50:1.

Hi yakimadn
    You sure that those motor oil bottle will work for gas? If that is the case, I can use any quart size motor oil bottle that use for car engine!!!!

Thanks

• yakimadn
    16 years ago

Don't see why not. I can remember many trips to the gas station as a kid with a gallon milk jug (plastic)for the mower, go kart, or mini bike. An oil bottle is far better than the little bottle I got with my BC.

• yungman
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I don't think it's a good idea to use milk jug type. I did research on this subject. Most of the plastic bottle is made with HDPE poly ehtylene?? material. Itself was tested to be dissolve slowly in gas. Only the ones that has been florinated is safe. Most of the botles including gas can lable HDPE but don't specify florinated. So they are not the same at all. The danger part of using unflorinated can not only introduce plastic into your engine after dissolving into the gas, which will stick all the parts. THe most danger thing is if the gas eat through the bottle, gas come out and is very dangerous. If you use milk jug to just quickly transport gas, I guess it's not too bad, but don't store gas in it. That is the reason they specify approved gas cans. It is known gas attack some plastic where motor oil won't. So I don't think it's safe to say just because it is good for oil, it is good for gas.

I am testing my quart size bottle with gas, but I put it in a safe place, with a pan under the bottle just in case it get eaten through. So far it is over a month and no sign of any changes.

• yakimadn
    16 years ago

Damn................. Guess I'm lucky to be alive today....
    Good Luck in your search for the perfect bottle.

• yungman
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sorry I mis-spell the words. It is fluorinated HDPE. This is the test web page:
    http://www.fluoroseal.com/test.html

• rustyj14
    16 years ago

Oh, for Pete's sake! Just go buy a red plastic, one gallon container, mix the appropriate amount of oil in it, shake well, use what you need, and stick the rest out under cover, or in an outdoor cabinet! I use fuel i purchased last spring, in my leaf blower, gas/oil mix, and it fires up just as good as when i first mixed it. And, i got my old weed wacker out this spring with 3 year old fuel in it and it started up and ran good! So, get a one gallon container for gasoline, make up the mixture and use it! Don't worry/be happy! After all--how much weight and space are you going to save, between a half gallon container and a one gallon container? Not much, I'd say!

• edsacre
    16 years ago

You said exactly what I was thinking rustyj14.
    The less gas/oil you mix at a time the more critical the amounts become.
    When the gallon tank is empty add 2.6 ounces of oil & take it to the gas station & add a gallon of gas if 50:1 is your mix. Can't get a lot more precise than that.

• baymee
    16 years ago

I use a plastic elmers glue quart container and have been for years.

When I was a kid, my dad would send me to the country gas station with a gallon milk glass bottle for gas, on my bike. I'm still around.

• biglumber
    16 years ago

Yungman,

Try a filling station. They offer smaller cans for people who run out of gas and are hiking back to their vehicle.

I would not use anything not approved/vented for gasoline. Dissolved linings of a container not made for holding gasoline will really carbon up things and make a mess.

• newjerseybt
    16 years ago

I have the same problem. A gallon of 2 cycle mix is far more than I need but the Stihl oil has a fuel preservative. At the end of season, my tractor, 21" mower and truck all get a little bit of 2 cycle in the tank.

Worrying about this is like losing sleep over being hit by a comet IMO.

• edsacre
    16 years ago

I actually saw a 1/2 gallon gas container in the Gemplers catalog. I cost about $45.

• yungman
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Edsacre
    I found it in Gemplers. That is a good one, If I can't find anything cheaper in the near future, I would buy this. You really make my day!!!!!

Many thanks

• Den69RS96_yahoo_com
    16 years ago

Wow you really want a smaller gas can if your willing to pay $41.75 for smaller container, but I don't see how a smaller container will keep keep gas fresher. The containers are vented correct? Why spend $35-40 to save $1 worth of gas? I still think your better off buying a $4 1 gallon container, go to the gas station and fill it half way, mark it on your container, add stabil, and pour 1.3 onces into the container. Some oil bottles have 1.3 oz marked on them or go to the Homedepot and buy the oil in the bottle which allows you to measure the amount oil. You could buy everything there and have gas that last more than one season.

• davidandkasie
    16 years ago

i have a 2.5 gallon can that i use for my 2 stroke gas. i filled it and mixed inthe oil 2 years ago. when ever i need the gas from it for the chainsaw, i give the can a good shake to mix it back up, then pour it in the saw. it works just as good now as when it first filled the can. if it starts to go stale, i use it to light my burn pile.

you really are making a mountain out of a molehill here.

• stripped_threads
    16 years ago

Why not use a glass bottle, like a mason jar.
    Just be carefull not to drop it or you could burn your house down, which is a small price to pay for having fresh gas I guess.

• yungman
    Original Author
    16 years ago

That's OK, I also find a place that sell Fluorinated HDPE quart size bottle for much cheaper. It is suppose to be a lot better than regular HDPE bottle. I just taking my time. As I have mensioned, currently, I am using old gas tank taken out from old trimmer motors that I bought on ebay, plug the tubes and use it for now. They better be ok!!!!

• sundog7
    16 years ago

Though made for white gas, the bottles from MSR would safely hold gasoline. They come in 11, 22, and 33 ounce sizes. They are made from single-piece, impact-extruded aluminum.

I just use a regular one gallon poly gas can and mix the proper amount of oil in with the gasoline.

Here is a link that might be useful: MSR

• masiman
    16 years ago

I did not think of the camping fuel bottles sundog.

You can go to any REI, EMS or MEC store and pick up one of these bottles. Sigg is also a well known manufacturer of these (at least they used to be).

• j0nes
    16 years ago

Try these people, http://www.TheOEMPartsStore.com, I think they carry everything you would ever need and more. Plus you can call them until midnight est.

Here is a link that might be useful: The OEM Parts Store

• inn8
    16 years ago

I work for a commercial landscape company and have been looking for a small gas container as well. I have had a difficult time finding anything under 1 gallon. I am hoping you could let me know what you've found. Any help you could offer will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time,

Nathan Rich

• snakedensohn
    16 years ago

For small containers, try Campmor. Search using "fuel bottle"

Here is a link that might be useful: Campmor

• cranheim
    16 years ago

When I read about people carrying gasoline in glass bottles, it reminds me of when I was about 16 yrs old (Many decades ago). I drove a Cushman Motor Scooter. The engine and driveline was all enclosed with a steel cover. The kick starter came out the front right under the seat cushion. Just ahead of that, was a small floor covered with a rubber matt. I used to drive into a gas station with a gallon glass bleach water bottle on the floor between my legs. The gas station attendant would fill the bottle between my legs, I would pay him the 20 cents, and drive off with the gas. I wonder what OSHA would say about that. Can you imagine how many things I would be charged with today if I was stopped by the police carrying a glass bottle of gasoline this way? Those were the days when you could do most anything, no matter how dumb it was to do them. Charles Ranheim

• jammer1
    16 years ago

I would use a soda bottle....they are made of lexan,and are gasoline proof..........I would NEVER pay over $6 for a plastic gas can,unless it was very big,like 6 gallons.............I prefer metal container's over plastic to me plastic is junk.........

• blueseatx
    14 years ago

Use a quart size oil bottle. The plastic is obviously rated for petroleum use.

• boinlv
    9 years ago

Old thread; newer information
    After reading this, bought a 1 liter MSR aluminum bottle from REI (~$23). Went to HD for 2 cycle oil, and there they had 1 qt pre-mixed gas-oil, resealable metal cans. Either 40:1 or 50:1 ratios. Called TruFuel.
    Returned the MSR bottle!

• J Gross
    8 years ago

Look in accessories. They have a 1 qt bottle for gas

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz