Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Portable Generators

Posted by dodgeman (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 22, 12 at 9:47

I'm looking for a portable generator in the 10kW range.

Primarily for household emergency power. There is some potential job site use in the future as well.
I'm in the process of installing a transfer switch with an exterior connection.

I'm trying to stay away from Chinese products.

I'm looking at a couple from Northern Tool with Honda engines.
Does anyone have experience with their generators?

Recommendations?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Portable Generators

• Posted by exmar 6 SE Ohio (My Page) on
    Sun, Jan 22, 12 at 11:19

Northern and Harbor Freight offer primarily chinese products, parts and repair facilities are "iffy."

Honda is top of the line and has top of the line pricing as well.

I have had good luck with Generac.

Good luck,

Ev

o

I agree with the previous post. Generac is a pretty good machine. Not as good as Honda, but considerably less expensive.

I've got a 10 year old Generac built before Briggs acquired them and put their own motors on everything. Mine is a 10kw with an 18hp Subaru Robin v-twin. Bought it second hand five years ago, and probably put 75 to 100 hours per year, depending upon how reliable PSE&G happens to be in central NJ. Last outage was Irene in September, which save me two nights in a hotel.

Although you can get the Robin engine anymore, the Briggs now used are pretty good motors, and you should be happy with it.

o

Thanks for the replies.
I wasn't really thinking about Generac, but now I am. A couple of my electricians (I'm a PM with a GC) have told me that they make solid, if not spectacular, products.

I haven't had any problems with any of my Briggs engines that dropping the carb bowl and hitting it with Gumout didn't solve.

Now I have to start thinking XP vs XG Series if I go Generac.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here