Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Snow blowers

Posted by jetson53 (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 29, 10 at 9:49

My Ariens snow thrower has 12 volt electric starter, battery, and electrically controlled discharge chute. While blowing, chute speed slowed then stopped. Turned off blower and starter motor continued to turn?? Tapped motor with hammer and motor stopped. Would not re-start until cooled down. This continues to happen and chute will not turn when electric start does not work. All will work occasionally?? Any suggestions??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Snow blowers

**While blowing, chute speed slowed then stopped.** What does this mean??

**Turned off blower and starter motor continued to turn?? ** You put the key to the stop position and then the machine attempted to start itself?

**Tapped motor with hammer and motor stopped.** Which motor? The main motor or the one that turns the chute? I cannot imaging tapping the main motor with a hammer will cause it to stop running.

The Ariens snow throwers with elctric chute operation had a probelm with the electric motor operating the chute. Water would get into the motor and cause it to malfunction. Tapping this motor may cause it to run angain temprarily. They have redesigned the motor and sealed it better from the elements. If you are still within the warranty or close to it, they will send you one for free as its a factory defect.

I hope I answered what I think you were asking.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here