Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fespo

What is the differance of the two engines?

fespo
14 years ago

Hello all, I would like to know what is the differance between a Briggs Vanguard engine and an Intek engine? There is a big differance in price. Any help would be great. Thanks Fespo

Comments (9)

• canguy
    14 years ago

The Intek is U.S. built and while a good engine, is more designed for consumer and light industrial use. The Vanguard is a heavier duty series for commercial use and is built in Japan for Briggs.

• kompressor
    14 years ago

I concur with canguy.

Engines are built to a certain standard and one of those standards is life expectancy. Vanguards, when properly serviced, will often last in excess of 3000 hours before needing to be rebuilt.

The Intek is built to a different standard and 1000 hours is a reasonable life expectation but that number can be exceeded. Keep in mind that the average homeowner only puts about 50 hours per year on an LT. On that basis, an Intek should be ok for 20 years, again with proper service. From what I see, even an Intek has the ability to live longer than the hydro trans-axles used in many of the LT's today.

I expect to see quite a few good engines end up at the junkyard thanks to weak, non-servicable trans-axles that cost more to buy as a part, then the tractor would bring on the open market in working condition. Just one of the problems with a throw-away society.

• fespo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

THANKS! Now I know what to look for when replacing my engines. I put a Intek on my rebuilt Troybilt tiller and a Vanguard on my wood splitter. I bought them online from whole seller in IN. I could not find a better price with free shipping at the time.

• rcmoser
    14 years ago

I dought those engines will be any good from the average home owner? why? they don't check or change the oil, and if they do they don't change it enough to get anywhere close to 1000 or 3000 hours on them or any other engine for that matter.

• kompressor
    14 years ago

Any used engine is a crapshoot unless you know the person who has owned it since new. Some people are meticulous in caring for their equipment while others neglect everything. But even a meticulous owner cannot influence the life of a sealed hydro all that much.

• yungman
    14 years ago

How does Intek engine compare to Honda GCV type of home owner mower engine? I know they both don't have cast iron lining, just aluminum cylinder.

You think Kohler XT-7 mower engine is better than these two because it actually have cast iron cylinder lining.

• canguy
    14 years ago

Some Intek models do have the cast sleeve as well a a bearing on the pto end of the crank and oil alert although the latter not on vertical shaft versions. The Honda GCV 190 also has a cast liner.
    I have little experience with the Chinese built Kohler.

• yungman
    14 years ago

Thanks for the info Canguy.Does the GVC190 have ball bearing support on the crankshaft?

• canguy
    14 years ago

I don't believe so.

Sponsored
Macanson Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Cabinetry & Flooring Company in Ashburn – Since 2013!