Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is the differance of the two engines?

Posted by fespo 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 10, 10 at 10:55

Hello all, I would like to know what is the differance between a Briggs Vanguard engine and an Intek engine? There is a big differance in price. Any help would be great. Thanks Fespo

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is the differance of the two engines?

• Posted by canguy British Columbia (My Page) on
    Sun, Jan 10, 10 at 12:48

The Intek is U.S. built and while a good engine, is more designed for consumer and light industrial use. The Vanguard is a heavier duty series for commercial use and is built in Japan for Briggs.

o

I concur with canguy.

Engines are built to a certain standard and one of those standards is life expectancy. Vanguards, when properly serviced, will often last in excess of 3000 hours before needing to be rebuilt.

The Intek is built to a different standard and 1000 hours is a reasonable life expectation but that number can be exceeded. Keep in mind that the average homeowner only puts about 50 hours per year on an LT. On that basis, an Intek should be ok for 20 years, again with proper service. From what I see, even an Intek has the ability to live longer than the hydro trans-axles used in many of the LT's today.

I expect to see quite a few good engines end up at the junkyard thanks to weak, non-servicable trans-axles that cost more to buy as a part, then the tractor would bring on the open market in working condition. Just one of the problems with a throw-away society.

o

THANKS! Now I know what to look for when replacing my engines. I put a Intek on my rebuilt Troybilt tiller and a Vanguard on my wood splitter. I bought them online from whole seller in IN. I could not find a better price with free shipping at the time.

o

I dought those engines will be any good from the average home owner? why? they don't check or change the oil, and if they do they don't change it enough to get anywhere close to 1000 or 3000 hours on them or any other engine for that matter.

o

Any used engine is a crapshoot unless you know the person who has owned it since new. Some people are meticulous in caring for their equipment while others neglect everything. But even a meticulous owner cannot influence the life of a sealed hydro all that much.

o

How does Intek engine compare to Honda GCV type of home owner mower engine? I know they both don't have cast iron lining, just aluminum cylinder.

You think Kohler XT-7 mower engine is better than these two because it actually have cast iron cylinder lining.

o

Mon, Jan 11, 10 at 9:40

Some Intek models do have the cast sleeve as well a a bearing on the pto end of the crank and oil alert although the latter not on vertical shaft versions. The Honda GCV 190 also has a cast liner.
I have little experience with the Chinese built Kohler.

o

Thanks for the info Canguy.Does the GVC190 have ball bearing support on the crankshaft?

o

Mon, Jan 11, 10 at 21:44

I don't believe so.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here