Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garden Tiller question

Posted by bekellog (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 28, 14 at 11:39

I have been thinking about replacing my current tiller. Its a rear tine craftsman counter rotating about 14", its a good tiller but its getting worn out. My father has an old Troy Bilt pony from the late 70's and it is awesome, id like to find one of those, but I have not had any success yet. I really like the forward rotation of the old pony, but I have had good luck with the counter rotator. Are there any new tillers on the market that will last like my dads old troy bilt???

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Garden Tiller question

• Posted by baymee LehighValleyPA (My Page) on
    Tue, Jan 28, 14 at 21:25

I've been using a Troy Horse for over 30 years and I've not seen any other that I would like better. Did you look on ebay or Craig's List?

o

Yes I have looked in craigslist and ebay, but here in north central Missouri tillers seem hard to find

o

If you are still able to use you craftsman just keep using it and keep watching Craigslist. I bought my 81 model Troy Bilt Horse off Craigslist, I see a few every year. I have a Poulan Pro, I expect it is much like you Craftsman. It sees more use than the Horse does. The newer forward rotating tine tillers are worse to jump forward when you hit something because they are lighter.

o

Merry Tillers are a favorite of rental places because they are built to be very tough. I use a Merry Tiller International model which has a triple reduction transmission and a dual V-belt clutch.

ZM

o

Troy-bilts (with conventional, forward rotation) are better for tilling, but counter-rotating tines are better for sod busting.

You can buy new "T-B" Horses (forward rotating tines)but they are not made in Troy, anymore. They are made made by MTD and sold at T-B dealers and one of the big box stores (Hd/Lowes.)

The old T-B Pony and the Tuffy are now all counter-rotating. (Same manufacturer and distribution.)

I love my old ones!

Liriodendron

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here