Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which Power Drill?

Posted by lakeyjim Michigan (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 7, 12 at 11:40

As a home owner, I've used Black and Decker drills and other power tools over he years. They are relatively inexpensive and work reasonably well. If I were a contractor, I'd spend more for Dewalt or other brands. I've always done a fair amount of DIY home jobs but I'm getting old.

Aside from some real light, low volt jobs, I currently have a 14.4V and a 18V. (Both are older Nicad batteries)The 18 came with a set including 4" circular saw and reciperocating saw. I use the saws occasionally.

The 14.4 is much older. The case is cracked from several drops and epoxied together each time. The 18 is bigger, heavier and clumsy. Since I've taken the trouble to epoxy the 14.4, I like 14.4 better.

After buying several new 14.4 batteries over the years, it is time to find something new with lithium batteries.

I don't want a set since I have a couple newer 18V batteries and will keep the saws which I don't use much.

Given I don't want to spend a lot of money and have been happy with the 14.4, should I buy a 12V or 16V Lithium from B&D? Any ideas on how long I should expect batteries to last before having to buy new ones?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which Power Drill?

A Good Question! I'm facing the same question for about 3 years now. My only cordless tool is an 18V Ryobi 3/8 drill. I Like Power Start To Finish (which means 110V tools) w/o going through tons of Nicad batteries on a seldom used tool. The cordless have their place but 99% of my work is dons around AC outlets.

My drill is still very good but I feel it is not worth another Nicad battery vs lithium which is still too high on a want vs a need. Waiting for the lithium prices to drop or a good trade to get something for my drill has not happened. As you probably, I have piles of AC volt tool not being used these days. The best part about the drill, it paid for itself on the 1st job (as it was needed to finish a job in damp weather in 02). Loger

o

I just went through updating my cordless tools. (I went from yellow NiCad to red lithium.)A suggestion maybe is to check the Ridgid brand at Home Depot. Their batteries are free replacement if I understand it correctly. Many like their tools too. In fact, I was in depot yesterday and they had a rack just full of power tools tagged as returns that were discounted- maybe from the holidays? If you see a Dewalt on the rack, they're a B&D company I believe. I'm really unsure of pricing on any of these.

o

I have also used the same Black and Decker drill for the last 8 years and was really satisfied with it. However, from last couple of months, I am facing issues with this tool. Hence, I have decided to buy a new one. Any recommendations other than Black and Decker?

Here is a link that might be useful: Best Cordless Drills

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here