Echo CS 400 Question

Posted by cciaffone durham NC (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 15, 09 at 12:16

Hey Guyz, this is a new Echo chainsaw and the first
"new technology" saw I have owned, so I have some
questions about the chain brake lever.

1. I am having a really hard time getting my hand
in between the handle and the chain brake lever
without stopping the chain. Is this normal?
Should I be gripping both the handle and the
chain brake lever while cutting??

b. The saw will not rev at all when the chain
brake lever is stopping the chain. Is that normal??

thanks

chuck

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Echo CS 400 Question

Somethings wrong. How big is your hand? I have a CS-370 which is similar to the 400 and have plenty of room.

o

There is definetly something wrong.

I think the possibilities are that your hand is too big, your holding the saw wrong, or something is wrong with the brake and/or or handle.

It is normal that the saw will not rev with the brake on. You're trying to rev the engine, the clutch engages the drum, but the drum does not move because the brake is on. The clutch is slipping on your drum a little, but it is essentially preventing your engine from gaining rpm (the load is too high).

Check out this video on how to cut with a chainsaw. If you are holding it correctly, then you'll need to post a pic or take the saw in to have it evaluated and/or get some instruction on use.

o

I have an Echo CS440 with exactly the same problem as Chuck. My hand barely fits. This started suddenly while I was cutting. Everything works, it's just too close. I took pictures, but don't know how to post them.

Thanks, Rich

o

The clutch (chain brake) engagement point requires adjustment. It as you know is spring activated , I would suggest you inspect further or take it in for this adjustment if you are not mechanically inclined . Congrats you have a great little saw !

o

I have checked the chain brake, and it looks good. Also this happened suddenly, so I doubt if something wore out. I do believe there's a problem with the engine mounts, I was hoping that Chuck found the answer and could pass it on before I start tearing it down.

Thanks, Rich

o

Time to tear in to it if your up to it lol ? What Chuck described over 2 yrs ago as the function issues are what the chain brake feature is designed to do (stop the chain from turning when the brake is applied). Keep us posted !

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here