Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shuffles_gw

Odd tire question

shuffles_gw
9 years ago

I have a hand truck with pneumatic tires and have a hard time keeping them inflated. I am considering filling the tires with multi-purpose foam sealant. Does anyone have an opinion as to whether this might work? I don't use the hand truck very often - mostly to move 30 gallon plant containers.

Comments (16)

• loger_gw
    9 years ago

Are they tubeless tires? If not, have you tried to wrestle some tubes into the tires? I had the problem and was ready to fill them with "Great Stuff" Foam. I have not had a problem once since 09. Installing a tube can be a pain and I installed the closest fit I could find.

Will your truckâÂÂs axle allow you to add double lawn mower wheels (outside the axle mount)?

• shuffles_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

loger, I had hoped to find someone with experience filling small tires with foam. Mine have tubes. I know from experience, installing tubes without the right equipment can be a bear. I like your idea of doubling lawn mower wheels. I guess I'll try the foam and if that doesn't work, look for some mower wheels.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

i have ultimately.. tubed all my garden wheels ...

and to one time i tried the green goo.. it was an abject failure ..

the local tire store ... or lawnmower shop did the tubing ...

you said: hand truck with pneumatic tires

==>> and i really dont know what that means ... it could be anything from a small garden nursery cart.. aka kids wagon .. to an industrial machine ... so its hard to be specific in offering you suggestions.. on where to go.. or what to do ...

ken

• loger_gw
    9 years ago

A rear picture of your truck or a link would help in making suggestions.

• shuffles_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I always thought a hand truck is a hand truck; a wagon is a wagon. Anyway, here is a photo. The foam I have in mind is orange. I don't want to spend $40 to have one tubed, when I can get a solid tire hand truck for $90.

• bill_kapaun
    9 years ago

You might check to see if the valve cores are tight.

Maybe since I ride skinny tired bicycles that need to be topped off every 3-4 days, I wouldn't consider pumping up a couple hand truck tires a couple times a year a big deal?

• txtom50
    9 years ago

If you happen to live near an Atwoods Farm & Ranch store, you might find some cheapie (made in china) tires like these that will fit your hand truck. My hand truck has a 5/8 inch diameter shaft and these slipped right on. They're tube type and have been holding air for 2 years now. They were on special for $5.00 each. Size 4.10/3.50-4.

• shuffles_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

txtom, that is the same size as mine. However, we don't have an Atwoods in this area and I couldn't find that wheel on their web site.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

40 bucks to tube a tire ???? ... crikey you live in a high end area ...

ken

• shuffles_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

ken, that $10 for each of two tubes and $10 installation each.

• txtom50
    9 years ago

Just one more option to look at: Harbor Freight has pneumatic and hard rubber tire/wheel assemblies pretty cheap. The first two "10 inch" tires might fill the bill and there are several others that probably would work too.

Here is a link that might be useful: harbor freight search

• shuffles_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

txtom, thanks. It looks like a trip to Harbor Freight is in order

• krnuttle
    9 years ago

When you say pumping up the tires, that hurts my back. If you don't have one I would get a 12 volt air pump like this one from Harbor Freight's.

http://www.harborfreight.com/12v-100-psi-high-volume-air-compressor-69284.html

If you watch the specials you can get it for under $20.

I have one that I have had for years, it makes quick work of the tires on my lawn tractor, and has the muscle to pump my van tires up to the recommended 38PSI.

• ray_and_laura
    9 years ago

Why don't you make a portable air tank out of an empty freon cylinder? Then you can air up those tires in seconds.

• rdaystrom
    9 years ago

Dollies, hand trucks...same thing. All tires leak. Tubed or tubeless...doesn't matter. Smaller tires go down in pressure faster because of lower total volume so dollies, hand trucks, bicycles, wheelbarrows, etc. will go down quickly.

• tomplum
    9 years ago

I have a bunch of those HF w/ China tires and they mostly leak. Everything sits out in the sun and after a few years you either chose to tube or buy the replacements for the ones that are the same size as what comes on sale for 4$ a pop. They are really easy to tube. If your tires have a thick sidewall, they may be more of a bugger. This summer I had to do my trailer dolly as I had one I could no longer count on. Like rd indicated- it seems more like a loosing battle on these small tires. A good application for a solid.