Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tinyfrogs

mini-saw: vintage mccullough arborist's or 18V cordless Ryobi?

tinyfrogs
12 years ago

Please ignore this post if you don't want to read someone's deliberations on adding to his power tool collection.

I just spent two days heavily pruning pear trees, sometimes with minor climbing. I had hoped to pick up a used Echo pole saw for the job, but haven't seen one in 6 months. I used my Stihl 026, a Ryobi 18v cordless reciprocating saw, and hand tools.

Afterward, I spotted an arborist saw in the same rural flea market where I bought my Stihl 026. Way-vintage 10" Mccoullough Mini-something, with a chain brake, no plastic, $35. I was in a rush so I didn't check it out too closely before I left. I regretted that move, so just now I called to reserve it for pickup in 2 weeks. Supposedly it RUNS because it is being sold on consignment for a retired saw mechanic who fixed it for a no-show customer. Even if it didn't run or the oiler or brake is shot, I'd clean it up and put the cool little guy on the display shelf.

As a runner, would it have been useful for the pears and to keep in the truck for the times when I run in to a trail-blockers up to 12"? However, aren't top-control arborists saws more dangerous then normal rear-control saws? Will the thing leak gas and oil all over the back of the SUV? What about getting a 18v, 10" Ryobi electric saw, currently $70-80 new on eBay? I already have other tools with the same battery system. No engine to maintain and much quieter operation. A fully-charged battery might last for months as long as I don't leave the saw in the truck on hot days. Then again, it could be obsolete in 2 seconds.

I have no idea how these 10" saws compare in power or handling. Clearly, the most appropriate thing to do is to make a direct comparison as soon as I can afford both of them.

Anyone have experience with 10" vintage Mini Macs or Ryobi cordless electrics?

Comments (3)