Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jimpatryn

Craftsman rototiller

jimpatryn
9 years ago

I've read with great interest the postings here regarding problems others are having -specifically with the gear box of their Craftsman tiller. I have a 900 series 17" with counterrotating tines that I purchased new in '09. The gear box NEVER shifted well from day one. This Fall I decided to take it apart to investigate! I can't agree more with the frustrations and experiences of many of the others posting on this site. My disappointment with this product has shaken a long standing relationship with Sears products. Anyway. I agree that the diagram at Sears Parts is very little help-and I've let them know it. Dose anyone know of a source for a more detailed view of this product-specifically-the gear case? I can't help but believe that somewhere there has to be an actual Repair manual that would be used in the outdoor equipment trade. Has anyone got any help from Roper or AYP? Ultimately, I'm stuck with this tiller-atleast until I can get it operating long enough to get rid of it. I think a Troy Built is in my future regardless of price. Thanks.

Comments (4)

• tomplum
    9 years ago

If you could post the model number, maybe I would have a manual or a close enough. Have you basically split the case at this point or gone further in and found the problem>

• tomplum
    9 years ago

You wrote that your number was 917.299080. The owners manual has a clear diagram. I'll look for a service manual in what I have.

Here is a link that might be useful: paper manual IPL

• tomplum
    9 years ago

You make some good points. Time wise, there is much more time required if one wants to clean it up as it should be. Figure 3 -5 hours RnR, repair, cleaning, etc. The manual I have shows RnR of the trans only.
    You wrote: The diagram on the link you supplied is the same one as Sears Parts, but 100% clearer. This is what I needed. Although my machine is put away in an unheated shed for the winter, Im, confident now that the next time I get to take it apart again, Ill have no problems. Just a little back ground for others who browse this site. At my age (65), Ive been active in maintaining a wide array of my own vehicles and equipment for over 40 years. The mechanical challenge of addressing a problem with this rototiller doesnt really bother me and often Ive faced situations where Id have do things by trial-and-error! But, as has already been brought up getting to this gear case is so labor intensive (someone mentioned 1 and half hours), I didnt want to have do this over and over again. One last point- experience is still a great teacher-technically, a gear case lik! e this should operate in oil bath-like 80w90. Grease, being a solid, will eventually fling off moving parts and simply be in clumps in voids. A recipe for failure i.e. early failure of drive chains. But apparently, the amount of engineering and refinement to include a filler hole, a drain plug and the necessity to make it oil tight, would have probably put this way out of the price range as a consumer grade item.

(PLEASE NOTE: The member responding to your post has chosen not to reveal his or her email address. Therefore, you cannot reply to this message via email.)

• mla2ofus
    9 years ago

Good points, Tom. I worked on one for a friend several yrs and failure was due to lack of lube. Had to junk ot ;cause sears said parts( two brgs and a shaft) were NLA.
    The one I worked on had felt seals on the tine shaft so I don't think they would hold 80w90 very well.
    Mike