Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
snow thrower will not KEEP running

Posted by rwhitne (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 7, 10 at 13:59

I have a Craftsman 5 horse dual stage snow thrower. It has been running and working fine the past several days. It now will not keep running. I push the primer a few times,use the electric start, it runs for a few seconds then quits. I disconnected the fuel line at the carburetor, fuel is present. I pulled off the muffler, no blockage there either. I pulled the spark plug and cleaned it, looks good. I don't get it, it was running fine. Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: snow thrower will not KEEP running

Well, the fuel must be new and clean to start with.Any signs of water or debris it is best to flush the tank and line plus do a quick clean on the carb. I'm assuming you have a basic Tecumseh engine in which the main jet is in the bowl nut -which small holes should be cleaned and the inside of the bowl as well.

o

Yes, i just fixed one like it a few weeks ago. Did the same thing!
I removed the carburetor bowl nut and the bowl. I dumped out the old fuel and cleaned the bowl. then i inspected the nut/bolt that holds the bowl onto the carb. Using a thin wire, i probed the TWO holes in the shank of the bowl bolt, blew thru it forcefully, then i reinstalled the cleaned bowl and bolt, making sure the bowl gasket seated properly. I then turned on the fuel supply, gave it time to fill the fuel bowl, and started the engine. It started right away, and kept running for a reasonable amount of time (10 minutes) until i shut it off. I returned it to the owner.

o

• Posted by baymee LehighValleyPA (My Page) on
    Fri, Jan 8, 10 at 7:16

Here are some pictures.

Shown are 3 of the typical jets and the small holes. All 3 are Tecumseh jets. Briggs jets are similar with the center-bottom hole and one on the side. All these holes need to be fully clean and open for the engine to run correctly.
Some jets only have the center-bottom hole.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here