Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
exmar

Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever must be setting in, looking for a project. Considering putting a replacement engine on an old tiller I have in the barn. Don't need another tiller, have 3 which work fine. Thinking if I do repower this one I'll sell the Mantis which I thoroughly hate! Three years old and maybe three hours run time.

Anyway, looking at Powerhorse and Predator engines, Harborfreight and Northern, not necessarily in that order.

Anyone know anything about them other than they're Chinese? Predator is currently on sale for $97.99 + $6.99 shipping if I read the ad correctly.

C'mon Spring!!!

Ev

Comments (6)

• mla2ofus
    10 years ago

The mantis is a boy so don't expect it to do a man's job like breaking sod.
    Mike

• loger_gw
    10 years ago

Hello Up There And Close The Door! I need the Rest and Rehab but there is a no end list of needs vs wants that Work Me Daily. I have been cutting back and clearing out since my 03 retirement and there is no end to the projects I Saved. The big move was Computers with their faster changing technology. Small Combustion Engines, Metalworking and Woodworking Projects are my latest Clearings vs personal needed extras. I had no idea how much I had stocked due to what I could do then vs now.

I'm still having fun dealing with the Old and New Technology but not The Old and New Pains and Strains.

Take Care!

• chas045
    10 years ago

I have a second Predator because my first one had idle issues and I exchanged it under a paid one yr warranty. The second is running well on a horse tiller except that I didn't make extra efforts to redesign a longer throttle cable. Unfortunately, I only have used it three times so it hasn't gotten a real workout.

You should probably Google one of the racing go cart sites. They often use these engines and re-jet them etc. They run a lot of them and probably have a good estimate of their reliability.

• txtom50
    10 years ago

There's a lengthy post from 2012 on the Predator engine that you might want to review if you haven't already looked at it. Also, seems like I tried to do some research on the Powerhorse engines some time back and couldn't find very much info on them. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Predator engine???

• exmar zone 7, SE Ohio
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Folks,
    Thanx, txtom for the link. Good info.

I think my plan of attack will be to list the Mantis on Craigslist and get some $$ back, then go forward with the Predator. I don't want to end up with 4 running tillers in the barn. Actually, 6 as two are on permanent "loan." :-) Folks keep giving me stuff and I get it running again.

I just looked at the local Craislist and was amazed at the number and condition of tillers being offered. None of them were Mantis though.

I've learned that the Predator goes on sale about once a month for just under $100, so no hurry to capture the current sale price.

Showing my age, but just seems WRONG to buy a "disposable" engine??? However, everything including people are disposable now, so... :-(

Thanks for the responses,

Be well,

Ev

• txtom50
    10 years ago

Gardening season is just around the corner, so it should be a good time to sell your tiller. I noticed several places last week that had onion plants for sale already.