Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ranger_ric

Woodzig electric pruner

ranger_ric
18 years ago

I have a Woodzig electric pruner and use it often. For me, it is the very best garden tool I own. The chains are considered to be disposable, and I usually break one about every 10 hours of use. I have not been able to find any replacement chains on the open market for quite a while because the company that manufactures them (Woodzig/Blount Inc) has stopped making them (see http://www.woodzig.com/). I'm also starting to see new in the box pruners for sale without chains, another indicator that the chains are becoming a scarce commodity. This is a real shame because the Woodzig electric pruner is such a great product. Does anyone out there have the same problem? Does anyone out there know where to find replacement chains? Does anyone out there know of an equivalent product to the Woodzig electric pruner? Thank you!

Here is a link that might be useful: iOffer Woodzig NIB for sale but without chains.

Comments (45)

• giventake
    18 years ago

There's a NIB woodzig on ebay....no chain. go figure it was not being bid on ..thought i would try it..thanks for posting about the scarse chains...

• ranger_ric
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I have come across many auctions and/or for sale Woodzig pruners, and they used to always include one chain on the saw and one spare. However, for the saw to be useful over the long run, a person would need a steady supply of replacement chains. Without that you might as well throw the saw away. I am going to call the maker on Monday and see what's up. Maybe there is a product liability problem? Anyway, I'll post back what I can find out.

• bill4020
    18 years ago

I talked with Oregon/Blount Mfg. this AM. They sold the chain mfg machine back to the company that built it for Blount. This company then sold the machine for parts! Our "pruners" are dead!!(unless you want to pay $25-30 for a single chain on e-bay!)

bill4020

• bas157
    18 years ago

That looks like it would be a pretty handy tool if you have power nearby. If they still had chains available for a reasonable price, I probably would buy one.

• steveral1
    16 years ago

Can anyone tell me how to reinstall a chain on my Woodzig electric pruner. It came off when I let a neighbor use it and it is still in one piece. It just does not seem to want to fit around the bar and sprocket. Also do the barbs go to the outside or inside. I am not able to see much length adjustment to make it fit.

• polkapete
    16 years ago

Hey there, Ranger!

When I couldn't get replacement chains for the Woodzig, I
    replaced it with a Makita cordless 12 volt chain saw. More
    recently, I added a Ryobi 18 volt cordless chain saw. Also,
    I use a Craftsman 18 volt "professional" reciprocating saw,
    and about 6 months ago, added a Milwaukee Sawzall "Hatchet"
    18 volt cordless reciprocating saw. Take your pick (the Ryobi
    is the most affordable, that means cheap, solution). Any and all of them can outwork the Woodzig under any circumstances. This may be why the producers abandoned the Woodzig. Don't buy chains, purchase something better with the money. I really liked my Woodzig, but it is hopelessly obsoleted by these other tools.

• colymoore_gmail_com
    16 years ago

Looked at alternatives, but they are all heavy and not suited to one-hand operation. A few Woodzig chains are available at http://cm.ebay.com/cm/ck/1065-29392-2357-0?uid=218884277&site=0amp;ver=EOIBSA080805&lk=URL&Item=230191978801

$25 each. Shipping is excellent, goes via PayPal Shipping. Tracking number supplied immediately.

• george50
    16 years ago

have 2 complete new chains in retail package complete with Sprocket Total of 5 chains with Allen wrench

• raygee7237
    15 years ago

do you still have? please respond to my email address

• treeman2008
    15 years ago

hi george.....i'd like to purchase any woodzig chains you have. please e-mail me at noannualcharge@aol.com thanks! bruce (treeman2008)

• harmonyherb_optonline_net
    15 years ago

You might try true value hardware, they may be able to order chains through their distribution center. With regard to replacing a chain, very easy. Remove tensioner plate screw. Remove tensioner plate and remove old chain. Replace chain with by carefully inserting into drive socket besure chain tang is pointed down (in). They will ride in the channel of the guide bar. Pull the tension plate tight and tighten the tensioner plate screw. You are ready to go.

• derf1950
    15 years ago

I HAVE A WOODZIG PRUNER FOR SALE MAKE OFFER
    BFHRPBFL@AOL.COM

• happyrockgal
    15 years ago

Hi, A friend told me about this site the other day and noticed that you were looking for these chains. My Grandpa had some of these new in packages. I was trying to list them locally, but nobody has a clue what they are.

I have 2 (two) rare Woodzig power pruner chains with sprocket. These are new and have never been used, as they are in the original package. They will fit these model of Woodzig power pruner. 40266, 40267, 40268, 40269. We are asking $52.00 each box as we have several. Shipping Free within USA I can also send you a picture if you send me your email.

Thanks, Cindy

• happyrockgal
    15 years ago

How do you delete the ad from this site? I've looked everywhere.

• spintech
    15 years ago

I have a Woodzig Model 40268 in like-new condition for sale. It includes 4 chains and 1 replacement cassette (chain, bar, & drive gear). The price is $65 plus shipping from Dutchess County, NY.

• happyrockgal
    15 years ago

chains are sold as I cannot find out how to delete the ad.

• stevelah
    15 years ago

Is the pruner posted by spintech still available?

• ranger_ric
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Steve. If the pruner posted by spintech is not available, I have a new in box unit available for sale at a reasonable price. You can email me at rbarline - at- mac.com (replace the - at - with the @ sign of course.)

• kenny_hdpth_gmail_com
    14 years ago

after reading this thread here, I am sad to learn that this item appears to not be manufactured anymore "/ But after viewing other google search hits ... I am not sure if this is same item that I had the good luck of getting to use just yesterday :)

long story short I was helping an elderly gentleman trim some trees on his property away from his house and fireplace ... this cute little gadget he had, only had the name Wood Zig imprinted on the plastic green motor housing which was attached to a long yellow pole, and the pole could be extended to maybe 10 feet in length ... no other markings serial number or model number could be found on the item "/

are ya all referring to the same item here ?

• ladeebugg20_yahoo_com
    14 years ago

Needing to purchase replacement chains for the Woodzig model number 40268 if anyone has any please let me know.

• Greg Goyeneche
    14 years ago

Give Ebay a try. Usually a couple of guys on West Coast selling blister packs with 2 chains. Normally sell for $60 to $70 per pack.

These guys must have squirreled away a whole bunch because they are almost always listing them.

• stts
    13 years ago

Hey I have an unused chain. I may even have a sprocket. I replaced the whole chain assembly with a real Poulon chain bar. I machined an aluminum block adapter to make it work. Now its still light weight and saws through 10" treelimbs. But its still a light duty unit and good for home owner use only. Im sure the motor would burn out with continual use being made of all plastic. Anyways, my one chain is available if anybody interested. stts44444@yahoo.com

• loger_gw
    13 years ago

Are the Woodzig electric prunerÂs chains compatible to chainsawÂs chains stock and just need to be cut and linked to the required length? If this is the case, your chainsaw chains suppliers should be able to make-up the chain, sharpen or repair them. OR! Buy the stock and make them up yourself. I had to start doing this vs going broke having my chains serviced. loger

• Greg Goyeneche
    13 years ago

You cannot use or modify roller type chainsaw chain for a Woodzig.

They used a modified jack chain with one end of the wire sticking out as a cutting edge. Simple and ultra cheap.

The 14" to 16" chain probably cost $0.20 a piece in OEM production quantities. You could probably get one of the chain manufacturers to make it, but you'd need to purchase 100,000 feet at a run.

• earthworm
    13 years ago

It strikes me that there is a definite need for a light weight or one hand pruning chainsaw.
    On a ten foot pole, the unit must be light weight!!
    And, as the operator must hold branches to be cut with one hand..........
    The easier jobs can be done with a heavy chain saw, but trees do grow upward, man does not.
    The Chinese will probably fill this market niche with a good product.
    Where is Harbor Freight when you need them?

• speak2
    11 years ago

I have 3 Woodzig replacement chains, and 3 Woodzig replacement cassettes for models #40266 #40267 #40268 #40269
    Woodzig Part No. 40270 for the cassettes and Part No. 40306 for the chains.
    I no longer have pruner but found them while cleaning.

• ranger_ric
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Please send them to me immediately. Contact me at rbarline-at-gmail.com for my address. Thanks!

• frank1968
    11 years ago

If any of the Woodzig chains for model #40268 are still available from Speak2' post, I would be interested in buying at least one. Thanks.

• binif
    9 years ago

Hi,

I have a woodzig model 40268 and i have just broken the chain this morning and i search a new one to replace it, somebody knows where i can find one ? Thanks.
    Length : 12'
    See picture in the link

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:295082}}

• binif
    9 years ago

Sorry,

I don't know how to post two pictures in the same message

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:295083}}

• der53
    9 years ago

If anyone needs the short bar (6") and chains for model 40266/40267/40268/40269 I have 1 package (bar w/chain) and 5 packages chains w/two in a pack. Throw me a message. ddrg2007@gmail.com

• laurieia1
    7 years ago

How do I oil my Woodzig? There is no reservoir visible. Thanks!

• Nancy Brown
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

My neighbor used it the blade got bent. Equally possible he was an idiot
    or that this blade is substandard. Didn't cut as good as my 5-year-old blade.
    Very bad quality. If you find out best garden tools then search on http://powertoolsgudie.com/. I think it can help you.

• HU-744942746
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Realizing this is an older thread, I do have an unopened blister pack of - 1. - a 2 pack of the chains and 2. an unopened blister pack with a new bar and chain enclosed. These parts fit the Woodzig models - 40266/40267/40268/40269 . $50.00 for all, including shipping to the lower 48. These are the original design and quality Woodzig parts. Pic may not appear with this, but can send separately if needed.

• marcvwmitchco
    4 years ago

July 9,2019 please email my your address for payment I would like to buy your wood zig chains marcvwmitchco@gmail.com

• BARBARA cagle
    3 years ago

I am in placement paying for an 8-inch woodzig pole saw

• HU-770858570
    3 years ago

11/10/2020 If anyone out there still has woodzig parts available for model 40268, looking for chain, blade gear assy, or let me know what you got. (don't need pole & plug), thanx! reply to fusspott@aol.com

• Marc van Wijk
    3 years ago

I have a complete woodzig tool with new chain if your interested

• HU-770858570
    3 years ago

Hi, thanx for your reply! Where are you located?, I'm east coast Massachusetts.

Which model do you have? What $ are you asking? If it's a pole model, shipping $ could be high. Any photos? They speak volumes. TY!

• Marc van Wijk
    3 years ago

Pole model 📦shipping from Vancouver Canada may be high
    I can check if you want

• HU-770858570
    3 years ago

Thanx Marc, But - A pole model from Canada would be cost prohibitive. $$$$!

However - I truly appreciate your response on such an old product/thread!

Cheers!

• Caron Smythe
    3 years ago

Is there no other chain that will fit onto the 40268 model?

• HU-507535553
    3 years ago

I too am searching for one of these chains. Ads on eBay are old. No chains left.

• Starla Carrara
    last year

I have the same proproble, no replacement saw