Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
craftsman sawmill 7 1/4 circular saw. No spindle lock

Posted by jackthehack (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 5, 08 at 15:24

I have an old Craftsman circular saw with no visible spindle lock. How am I to replace the blade?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: craftsman sawmill 7 1/4 circular saw. No spindle lock

Just putting the saw down on some soft wood so the teeth dig in would probably work. Otherwise, stick something in the teeth or a hole in the blade to keep the blade/spindle from turning.

o

I too had a 7 1/4" Craftsman circular saw with no spindle lock, with a masonry blade that I had trouble removing. It had no teeth or other holes to get a good grip on it.

This procedure worked to remove the blade:

1. Apply some WD-40 to the blade locking nut.

2. Wait a couple minutes, with a few slight taps from a wrench for good luck in to help the lubricant work in.

3. Lock a 10" crescent wrench onto the nut, hold the blade fairly tightly with one hand, and tap on the end of the wrench handle sharply with a hammer to turn the nut and blade counter-clockwise.

The inertia of the blade and motor help to keep the blade still as the hammer's force is applied to loosen the nut.

o

• Posted by ericwi Dane County WI (My Page) on
    Sun, May 25, 14 at 9:52

:You could lower the blade, and install a "C-clamp" carefully, on the blade, positioned to avoid the teeth. Now you can rotate the blade, until the clamp meets the baseplate, and now you have a locked spindle.

o

With saw unplugged or power removed I just clamp pair of vise grips onto the blade, using the vise grips wedged against the saw or hold it and break the nut loose. Same thing as above avoid the teeth on the blade or it will CUT you!

o

I'm having problems getting the nut to come out. I've sprayed it with WD-40, I've got the blade clamped down so it won't move. The nut is turning, but it won't come out. I'm baffled as to what is keeping it in.

o

The shaft from the motor is probably turning also. The nut needs a blow or shock to break it loose. Use a box-end wrench or vise grips on the nut and give a good blow/hit on the wench toward off with the blade locked in wood in a vise or sitting on soft wood.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here