Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loger1_gw

What insect/borer did the granddaughter see a mile away (attached

loger_gw
11 years ago

What insect/borer did the granddaughter see a mile away (attached) that I finally found one of? It got away thinking I just needed to bag the dead acting bug. Now I'm noticing bore holes in dry wood on the patio and some inside. I moved the inside starter wood back outside into the sunlight. I feel the warm weather and sunlight drew them out yesterday. My wife said the grand spotted them all over 1-3" dry oak and pecan used as starter wood. I think I saw these insects years ago and thought they were Yellow Jacket Wasp (until I noticed they could hardly fly). I feel what I am seeing today is the same insect at the link below (a Longhorned beetle). What is your opinion and experiences?

How dangerous are the insects to the house and Grand (will have to be very quick to catch the grand?? I try to notice for any bore holes and leave wood if found. Our worst experience was loosing an approx 5-8 year old Red Oak to bores that looks like grub worms (white except the head, almost as large and large as your small finger). I have found, heard the boring and seen the results (dust piles) of the same looking grub in fresh cut Mesquite (with no signs before) until it seasons.

http://insects.about.com/od/insectpests/a/bugsinfirewood.htm

Comments (4)