Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
portable generators starting cold weather

Posted by thetheway 6 st louis mo (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 16, 07 at 15:48

I need to buy a generator but would like first hand infomation on starting in cold weather.
What is the lowest temperature for starting the recoil pull rope type.

I have noticed a Power King 2500 watt generator listed on Ebay that has battery electric start but have never heard of that brand and not sure of the quality.
If anyone has a Power King, please give me your opinion.

The recoil pull rope would be fine for my use if it would start in cold weather. However the electric would make it easier for the wife to start when I am not home and I don't mind paying more if the Power King is reliable.
I have been looking at the Proforce 2500, any opinions on that brand.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: portable generators starting cold weather

• Posted by canguy British Columbia (My Page) on
    Tue, Jan 16, 07 at 22:34

The Proforce is a Chinese copy of a Yamaha and IMHO, a poor investment. ( I'll get some flak for that LOL)
How cold are you talking? 10W30 oil will probably be adequate but you may need 5W30 so it will start. Use gas line antifreeze.

o

Thanks for you input canguy.

Concerning the Proforce, I have noticed a lot of ads for refurbished units and thought if they are so good why are people returning them, so you have pretty much answered my question concerning that brand.

The coldest starting tempture would probably be around 20 degrees fahrenneit although at times it does drop to 0.

My concern with the recoil start is geting the gas to ignite at low temps. I have a Honda lawnmower and when it is warm it starts on the first pull but in the fall when mulching leaves if the temperature is 40 degrees or lower it is very difficult to start.

Concerning the Power King I asked about in my orginal post, I noticed it only has one 120 volt outlet and I once read in another forum to stick with the generators that have 2 outlets. Does anyone have any comments on the Power king or the 2 outlet theory.

o

I suggest you read the forum "Chinese Portable Generators" on this website.

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/tools/msg0900581628028.html?46

China-built engines,some of which are referred to as "Honda clones" or "Yamaha clones" are built under license and are identical to the original designs. Read the thread which describes a mechanical breakdown and parts comparison in both a Honda engine and its China version. This person talks about engines used in go-cart type races and the mechanic who fixes and interchanges parts from these engines.

Someone also mentions how Honda dealers are not allowed to use Honda parts in the China "clones". Although this might raise a few eyebrows, its about liability/business and not quality.

Here's a generator I was looking at and it sold out and is not available until the end of January. It has a "Lifon" licensed built engine made in China. I'm not sure if it's Yamaha or Honda.
http://www.generatordepot.us/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=30&HS=1

I bought a Cummins Onan (China built engine) through Costco. Onan is one of the largest and most respected generator companys in the U.S. (Although bigger doesn't always mean better)

o
RE: Onan Generator

Hers's the link and specs on the Onan generator.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?whse=&topnav=&prodid=11135252&ec=BC-EC877-CatHome&pos=7

o

I have a 1200 watt chinese generator (pull start only)and brought it camping last fall in the mountains. It dropped below 0 Celcius (32F)by about supper time, the generator sat over night at sub zero temperatures and the following morning started right away and ran great. I was impressed. Although I've only logged about 30 hours on it the engine is smooth, quiet and starts easy.
http://www.made-in-china.com/showroom/chinaflourish/product-detailTbonkjwVgmrG/China-Generator-WDF-1200C-UF60-.html

o

Proper choke operaton, fresh winter grade fuel are keys to starting cold engines. Something not happening in your world because that Honda should not be hard to start at 40 degrees.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here