Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
apacherosepea00

Snow thrower and oil question.

ApacheRosePea00
9 years ago

Okay so I am new to engine care and I overfilled the oil reservoir on the new snow thrower. I think I know what to do but if anyone can help me here, I would appreciate it. What should I do? Also, if anyone cares to share, why is it necessary to disconnect the spark plug when messing with the oil?

Comments (8)

• exmar zone 7, SE Ohio
    9 years ago

IMHO more engines are damaged due to being overfilled than underfilled with oil. Remove the excess oil until it shows full on the dipstick. Either remove drain plug and catch oil in clean receptacle then refill as needed, or use a "push pump" type of gizmo found on hand soap containers. My wife has them at every sink in the house so was easy enough to liberate one.

"We need to be protected," so all small engine, etc. manuals are full of info about disconnecting plug to prevent accidental starting with no oil, or fill port open, etc. etc. ad nauseum.

Good luck,

Ev

• ApacheRosePea00
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I suppose I could steal an old measuring cup from the kitchen, capture the amount I need from the drain and call it a day? Will there be any damage from the overfill? Like oil in parts of the engine where it shouldn't be? Obviously, I didn't run it but the entire thing was tilted when I moved it. The machine is brand new so I hope not.

I read something about oil getting into the combustion chamber being the reason for the disconnect but I don't know. All the over information/warnings in manuals usually leaves me confused. Not more informed.

• bill_kapaun
    9 years ago

Remove the oil by whatever means you'd use to do an oil change.

Don't judge the proper amount by how much you remove.
    Judge by the method you are supposed to use to check the oil level.
    IF you have an oil fill tube/dipstick, you can tilt it and drain out through that. Keep the carburetor on the "high" side, not the low.

It may take a few hours afterwards for the oil to drain down so you can get a true reading.

• ApacheRosePea00
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The blower has an oil drain so I will do it through there. The plan is to let more than enough drain out and wait for a few hours to test. Then add again if necessary checking through the dipstick.

I am just curious if there may be damage after the fact? I can't seem to find any info.

• mla2ofus
    9 years ago

If you had it tilted and only pulled the dipstick once, then check the oil again as it may have just had oil trapped in the dipstick tube if that's what it has for checking the oil.
    Mike

• ApacheRosePea00
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It wasn't a measuring failure using the dipstick. I overfilled for sure---28oz instead of 20oz. Live and learn I suppose. Thanks for all the help.

This post was edited by ApacheRosePea00 on Thu, Jan 15, 15 at 23:11

• mla2ofus
    9 years ago

Well, it's good you know exactly how much to remove.
    Mike

• loger_gw
    9 years ago

A Real Over Filling Experience. In 1971 I helped a friend/neighbor replace a 1969 Cutlass Eng. The oil dip stick tube was broken off during the process (another was to be replaced soon. The Eng was running fine until it needed a fuel pump. Replacing the fuel pump I noticed oil at that level (well above the oil pan to block level).

I question my friend as to how he had been checking the oil since he had not replaced the broken dip stick tube months to a year later. His reply, âÂÂit was smoking and I just added oil since it was burning oilâÂÂ. My reply, âÂÂdrain the oil to see how much you have in the EngâÂÂ. A Full 5 Gallons! The engine had a reason to be smoking. There was no mechanical damage that we could tell. That was a lesson to remember.

His original Eng had a bent connector rod due to water getting into a cylinder (causing the piston to make contact with the crank. A new connector rod and head gasket was the major fix âÂÂbefore that engine was blownâÂÂ. By approx 1975+ he was on his 3rd Eng in what was his New 1969 Cutlass. We are still friends but replacing the Eng in 1971 Retired My Help!

Seeing that 5 Gallons of oil and hearing that some engines run inverted w/o damage left some needed research.