Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Combo tool vs. standard trimmer

Posted by jaginn none (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 21, 14 at 16:04

Hi all,

This is my first post on this forum so I hope it's in the right place.

I am having a new lawn installed and wanting to update my old trimmer. I've been looking at the Husqvarna range and am trying to decide between a standard straight shaft trimmer (524L) and the combo tool that also takes other attachments like hedge trimmer, blower, polesaw, etc (525RJD).

The pros I see for the combo tool are (a) only one engine to maintain, saves space, slightly cheaper than buying the individual tools.

And the cons are (a) the combo unit itself is $100 more, if the combo engine dies then you are locked into the brand if you have all the attachments, slightly less robust with a split shaft.

Anyone have any recommendations on this (any brand combo vs standard trimmer advice is great - not just Husky). Note that I think the models given above may be Australian rather than US.

Thanks,
John

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Combo tool vs. standard trimmer

I had an Old Green Machine with a split shaft that did great work with quality string trimming or hard blade trimming with both. I later learned the shafts were too short caused me to bend my back vs standing straight. Now I use a longer dedicated Echo for each. Plus, I have learned Mid Commercial Cable Shafts are stronger vs shying away to the Heavy Solid Shaft.

The old saying and proof in many cases was Dedicated Tools Were Better Than Multi Tools. With the Split Shafts, I feel quality has improved (vs owning/using) if it’s a Commercial Grade Tool.

o

I have no direct experience but my next door neighbor has a Stihl multi tool that doesn't seem to give him problems. He mostly uses it for weed whacking or exchanging to a scary looking circular saw blade that he uses to cut low limbs and saplings.

o

My neighbor has a Multi-Purpose-Tool (from Sears) that he uses at walking speed to String Trim, Hard Blade Edge and Blower on a Ground Level Shaft.

o

I have a combo Echo edger and trimmer that have worked well for a few years. I did not want to be doing double duty with engines. Pay more for better stuff if you can aflord it. And get an easy pull start.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here