Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vintage Troy-Bilt Horse tiller problems

Posted by travellingman (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 23, 10 at 16:20

Hi everyone,

I have an old Troy-Bilt Horse with a Clinton side valve engine that I want to overhaul. (It fires up quite easily but then stalls before I can get to the throttle to drive it.) I'm having a hard time finding parts. Several websites claim to have Cinton parts and they even show pictures, but when I contacted them they each claimed that they couldn't get Clinton parts. MTD have told me that my engine is a 4 1/2 hp 498 series engine. But that is all the info they have. If anyone out there knows more about these engines and/or where to find parts I'd like to know. Failing that, if anyone knows which more recent engine would fit, I might go that route. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vintage Troy-Bilt Horse tiller problems

sounds like a fuel issue, can you keep the engine running by spraying carb cleaner down the throat?

o
RE: Vintage Troy-Bilt Horse tiller problems

It might be that the float in the carburetor is stuck. This can happen if stored with fuel in it. Sometimes tapping it is enough to free it. You could also put a few drops of carb cleaner down the fuel inlet -- the idea would be to dissolve the 'varnish' that might have formed around the fuel inlet valve -- really a small pin held against the fuel inlet by the carburetor float.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here