Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shodaisy

DeVilbiss generator

shodaisy
14 years ago

First I would like to thank the people of this forum for answering our questions. if I can be of any help I will answer to the best of my ability. I have a DeVilbiss 5000 watt generator, 6250 surge watts. Had not used the generator in a while, started it up and it run very rough. I changed the oil, plug and cleaned the gas tank. When I tried to restart it started and sounded good but the low oil light started flashing so I cut it off. Now it wont start back. Oil is right on the line. Cord seems very hard to pull, was not this way before. Should have taken better care of, now I will.

Comments (28)

• tomplum
    14 years ago

On a generator with an oil sensor either will not start, or will start and run for maybe a minute if the oil level is not high enough. So hopefully the line you are referring to is the full mark. When equipment doesn't get run very often, it is common enough to have carb issues where deposits have plugged the holes in main jet or create issues to where the float valve can stick. In some cases, they can stick open and flood the engine which can make it difficult to pull. Signs of excessive fuel in the cylinder or contaminated oil would be present. Check these things out and if you need to post back include make, model #s of the engine along with what you found.

• shodaisy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I will most likely take the generator to a local fix-it shop and let them take a look. I'll let everyone know the outcome. Thanks

• wayneinala
    14 years ago

May be a carb problem, but I believe I have the exact same generator, and the first time I used it I thought I had the oil to the full level but the low oil light would blink. I simply added a little more oil and the oil light quit blinking. Mine has always been a little hard to start. I used to have to pull the cord a dozen times, then cleaned the carb with carb spray and now I am at least down to 6-7 pulls.

• ewalk
    14 years ago

Sounds like you have developed a Air Entrainment causing a low Oil Sensing , to the Generator . Try draining a little out 1st then pull it over a half dozen times with ign off refill to the mark and try restarting . You may require some Quick Start fluid to get it running . Once running check the Oil Light . If it is still on addd just little more , not to much and restart and check Oil light. If unit fails to start bring it into a reliable repair shop since the Oil Sensing Shutoff may be faulty or a more serious problem exists .

• shodaisy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I drained some of the oil and refilled and tried to restart with no results. I added a little gas through the carb and tried to restart. The cord pulled a little easier but no starting. I believe my problem lies within me changing the oil. Any suggestions?

• tomplum
    14 years ago

Did you tip the unit?

• shodaisy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I did tilt the generator to install a small amount of gas which probably was a mistake. Though the rope did pull easier the engine did not start and the low oil light blinked a couple of time. Should I just start again by draining the oil and putting in 28 ounces of new oil? One other thing to mention, when the engines does "hit" a little, there is white smoke which comes from between the gas tank and engine. i had to take the big tank off and mount a small tank to get the generator under my truck lid. It is mounted to the three holes in the top of the motor.
    Thanks

• tomplum
    14 years ago

I wonder if it is simply flooded? Keep the switch in off or ground the plug wire, remove the spark plug and crank it. Seem flooded?

• ewalk
    14 years ago

Once you have done what Tom has suggested , spray a little starting fluid within the Spark Plug Hole retighten the spark plug and attempt to start your generator as usual. It should at least fire or run for a few seconds. The starting fluid is a good investiment for a few $ in future trouble shooting. A little goe a long way.

• shodaisy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Will give it a try and post results.

Thanks

• ewalk
    14 years ago

You may have to do this a few times if the Generator is Flooded . Be sure not to choke the engine during the starter fluid usage .

• wayneinala
    14 years ago

I don't claim to be an expert, but I don't think it will start until there is enough oil in the crankcase to keep the light from blinking. That was the case with mine.

• shodaisy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The oil is above the fill mark. I undestand the fill mark is not always accurate. I plan on trying the started fluir tommorrow."Keep the switch in off or ground the plug wire",how do I ground the spark plug? Gotta get this thing going befoe the weekend, we supposed to get more snow in KY. All the fix-it shops are too busy. it all on me and my buddies on the forum..Thanks

• ewalk
    14 years ago

Hey don't Panic ! Just keep the Start Switch in off position while dry cranking the Engine. If you have the Engine on the On Position with the Plug Wire Off you can Blow The CDI ( Electronic Ignition System) Just do what we have told you and report back ! I will monitor your results daily ! All the Best !!

• shodaisy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Okay, I took spark plug out and pulled cord couple of times. Cord pulled easy. Put some starting fluid in and replaced spark plug. Tried to start with no success but hit a little. Seemed liked it wasn't getting gas. I removed spark plug again and spray starting fluid for full three seconds like the can said, Generator tried to hit first couple of pulls then finally started. Is running right now. hate to cut it off it sounds so good, I figure I need to put some stabilizer in and start every now and then. Wiil shut down in a little while and try to restart. Will keep you updated. Thanks for all the help. Hope I can return the favor sometime.

• shodaisy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Finally cut it off. Didnt want to start back till I put some starter fluid in. It started okay. Kinda like its not getting enough gas or I'm not pulling hard enough. Got a small gas filter on but its for a 10-15 hp motor. I also put some sea foam in the gas tank. Thanks

• ewalk
    14 years ago

Let the Sea Foam do its trick Girly ! Some units are rather cold blooded ! Once you experiment with the Choke setting for start up you will learn by experience what your Generator needs. I don't know if we covered this but in the future even in warmer Southern States Temps I would recommend you start using a Good Premium Grade Synthetic Multi Grade Oil much more smoother running (cooler) and makes a big differnece in easier starting in Colder Climates. Also check your local supply store and see if they stock Lucas Products if so check out their Top End Lubricant and Fuel Injector Treatment 6-8 Oz. Bottle runs about 4-5 Bucks put a ounce in each tank full what a great Product ! I use it in my Chainsaws Outboard Motor, lawnmower , Snowmachines and Quads and Automobiles , it cleans lubricates all 4-cycle and 2-cycle equipment. I have began using all Lucas Products...can't believe I had not previously. Anyhow I'am happy you are up and running ! Keep in touch Girly...Ty !

• shodaisy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Not sure about the girly part there TY> Sho daisy is a mix of my tpwo dogs name.LOL. Generator still pulls hard till I put in the starter fluid, which I know is not good. Will try the lucas products, may take in to shop to have carb checked.

Thanks for all the help.

• ewalk
    14 years ago

Just a term of endearment lol ! Your probably right sounds like restricted carb or perhaps the filter is partially plugged . You can't harm the Generator with the Starting fluid , just a pain to have to fog the engine to start. I would start with the fuel filter change (clear unit) so you can visually check its condition in the future. Let us know which root you go or if you require further assistance..Ty !

• shodaisy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Tried checking the sparkplug, removed from engine and plugged in. Touched hex part to engine and pulled cord, could see no spark. Tried 2 plugs, still no spark. Generator started yesterday but appears to be no spark today. Any suggestions?

• ewalk
    14 years ago

Well Dude ! since you have tried two i would assume new or good plugs , you may have to check the spark plug lead (wire) for continuiuty with a Ohms Meter ! Other than that the on /off switch could be faulty (same test proceedure) or coil is shot . The only other thing I can think of goes back to the Safety Shutoff circuit for low Oil it may be the root cause as I intially indicated. The Oil level is sufficient right ? Since you said you ran the generator for a while ? I know this testing is not for the beginner , so you may wish to invest some expert assistance if you feel the unit is worth a approx $100.00 repair bill upon expert hands on inspection...Ty .

• shodaisy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Dudes good, more like Hillbilly not mechanically inclined. Got spark, Back to carb, took filter off,can blow through but will get see thru filter soon. I'll keep trying. Thanks

• ewalk
    14 years ago

What did you do to re-establish spark ? Also have you used the Lucas yet or fuel injector cleaner of some type ? Keep us posted Bro ! Interesting equipment these Generators ,
    the fuel side is normally easy to fix , its the sporatic elect. issues that become problematic. We will have you upgraded from a Kentucky Hillbilly to class "A" Backyard Mechanic in no time Romflmbo... Oh once you do add the fuel treatment ensure to run the gas through for a few hrs.. Ty !

• shodaisy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Like I sais I'm a hillbilly. Turned genearator on and got spark. Will get the Lucas products this week, I put a little gas in the sparkplug hole and generator started first pull. Let run about 2 hours, hoping the seafoam helps. Cut off and waited 5 minutes and tried again, started on 10th pull. Rope pulled lot easier this time, seafoam pretty good product. Only problem is, wife wont let me cut power to house to see what generator will run.lol. Thanks

• shodaisy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Like I sais I'm a hillbilly. Turned genearator on and got spark. Will get the Lucas products this week, I put a little gas in the sparkplug hole and generator started first pull. Let run about 2 hours, hoping the seafoam helps. Cut off and waited 5 minutes and tried again, started on 10th pull. Rope pulled lot easier this time, seafoam pretty good product. Only problem is, wife wont let me cut power to house to see what generator will run.lol. Thanks

• ejwoods820_zoominternet_net
    12 years ago

Have a DeVilbiss generator, model # GBEF6010, after starting it charges 16.7 volts back into the starting battery. Would think this is to much, should be around 14 volts ? If this will cause damage what do I need to replace to correct this problem ? Location etc..

• ewalk
    12 years ago

Sounds like a Voltage Regulator Problem . 12.7 to 13.4 Volts is normal . Continued use at such a elevated charging rate could overheat battery . Have you checked the amperage being generated ?

• nitecap4_att_net
    12 years ago

where can i buy a starter for the devilbiss gt5000 gen.